Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Questions About Garden Ponds

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Ponds

Postby Denise4bOnt » Apr 08, 2008 7:09 am

Olivia, your pond is along the same as what I plan on making with the waterfalls, I love the water plants you have there, very nice.

Cindy, thanks for posting your pic with the beach area, we still have some snow lingering and I suppose I have to wait until the ground dries out before I can get started. To think that I grew up in Newfoundland surrounded with sand and beach rocks and now here in Ontario I have to find a supplier so I can buy them.
By the way, I enjoyed reading about you and your garden in the Canadian Gardening magazine, good job!! Every gardeners dream I'm sure.
The one who plants a tree
looks at the world through eyes
which see tomorrow, not today
Denise4bOnt

calla lilies

Postby martens » Apr 21, 2008 7:08 pm

I have read some of your post. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried using calla lilies in a bog area of your pond. We are trying to find something different to make our pond look more colourful other than the ordinary pond plants. Hope I get some suggestion back. Sue
martens

Postby Olivia zone 6 » Apr 21, 2008 7:34 pm

Calla lilies will love the bog area. I have them in my pond throughout the summer and they love the wetness. In the fall I just pull them out of the pond pot and all and let them dry out. Spring starts the ritual again with watering them.......mine are all starting to sprout right now.....O, whose callas are not hardy to my area.
Olivia
"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but, how to dance in the rain."
Olivia zone 6

Postby murphy » Apr 21, 2008 7:36 pm

a calla will thrive in a bog....go ahead and plant as many as you can fit...there are some lovely varieties that offer all season interest due to their wonderful foliage.
murphy

Postby Sheikea » Apr 23, 2008 10:32 am

Cana lillies is there a certain type.I have two ponds one with a waterfall.I cheated and went with the hard shells and use the filters that come with the pond kits.I love them and so do the worms i find i get worms in the filtering system alot.Think the birds drop em in there..I loved the pond issue in the mag and found i stare out at my ponds thinking I am gonna revamp.Have a wedding being held here in the back and want it to look wonderful for their pictures.Huge flower hugs and kisses.. :D
Sheikea

Previous

Return to Plant Talk