Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Greenhouse Construction Progress

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Greenhouse Construction Progress

Postby packrat79 » Apr 11, 2008 7:04 pm

Well here it is, about two weeks into the project. Doesn't look like much now but you can get an idea of the size and shape. Only the deck is built from new wood, the rest is reject cedar slabs that my Dad brought home from the lumbermill where he works. The base is just six cinder blocks, so some balancing may be needed once the quagmire of mud underneath finally dries out. It's been quite a job working on this spot, or just working at all for that matter since I'm doing it all by myself. But if all goes well I hope to have it operational within the next couple of weeks, and completely done in early May. I'll post back with updates.
Attachments
greenhouse.jpg
packrat79

Postby patty » Apr 11, 2008 10:53 pm

Looking really good packrat!!! Ohh how I envy you. Yes, please keep us updated, with pics if possible on the progress. I love watching other gardeners projects, as well as their gardens grow. Thanks for sharing.:)
patty

Postby Lizcordysmum » Apr 12, 2008 10:14 pm

This is simply great...keep us posted...I am looking for homebuilt greenhouse too.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Venice » Apr 13, 2008 1:57 pm

ohhh very nice, I would so love a greenhouse!!

Hubby was talking about sticking my plants on the deck ahahha, he's nutso it's way to early. He also thinks I don't need the grow light on anymore hehehe cheapskate.

How long do I need to use the light? as opposed to just sun in the sliding glass doors (south facing)?

Thanks.

Ven
Venice

Postby Sharon Bryson » Apr 13, 2008 3:23 pm

How long do I need to use the light?

I would use light until they outgrow the space, or they get to go to the hardening off zone.
Once plants get big enough to be hardened off, they can also get along with somewhat less light. You actually want to slow them down a bit.
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Postby Paul zone5 » Apr 20, 2008 8:37 pm

That looks like a fun project.
Did you consider a dirt floor instead of raised wood?

How many windows will there be, and on which exposure?
Just north of Toronto
Paul zone5

Postby packrat79 » Apr 21, 2008 6:59 pm

Paul zone5 wrote:That looks like a fun project.
Did you consider a dirt floor instead of raised wood?

How many windows will there be, and on which exposure?

I didn't really consider a dirt floor, mainly because I don't know much about them. (I don't really know that much about carpentry either, for that matter, which makes me wonder why I'm attempting this project in the first place). I figured that the raised wood will at least make a good, dry place to stand.
Instead of windows, I'm using a transparent polycarbonate plastic I bought from www.northerngreenhouse.com . The North wall, and the bottom 2' of the other walls, will be solid plywood (cedar shingles may be added later) - everything else will be the clear poly. It's manufacturer claims its opaque appearance helps diffuse light and distribute it evenly. Now that I think about it, the commercial greenhouses I've been in always had some kind of opaque covering - never fully transparent. I guess there must be a reason.
I will soon post an update, as soon as I put some new batteries in my camera......
packrat79

Postby packrat79 » Apr 23, 2008 6:51 pm

Here's are some more recent pictures, taken at a couple of different intervals. If all goes well, I hope to have it at least functional by the end of the month. It's already taken a lot longer than I planned on, but better late than never I guess.
Attachments
greenhouse_2.jpg
Floor down, plastic covering started
greenhouse1b.jpg
Complete frame
greenhouse_3.jpg
Same as (2) but from other side
packrat79

Postby Ruby » Apr 24, 2008 12:41 pm

packrat79 wrote:Here's are some more recent pictures, taken at a couple of different intervals. If all goes well, I hope to have it at least functional by the end of the month. It's already taken a lot longer than I planned on, but better late than never I guess.

HOLY COW......you still have snow! BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR......here in Maple Ridge, we have cold temps. for this time of year, but apparently still warmer than you are. Dont feel bad about taking longer, as that is the beauty of a greenhouse....you can use it pretty much when ever you want to.

I dont have anything other than a couple of geraniums and a couple of orchid cactus in my green house at the moment. As well as the christmas tree that I am drying out, a bunch of plant stakes, and various other BITS........I plan on cleaning it out this weekend........but of course, I have said this for 4 weekends in a row now! But having a greenhouse is AWESOME....you will love it! I use mine to plant seeds for late summer blooming. Our nurseries here already have annuals for sale, but, its too cold. And in late summer, when pots are looking bedraggled, I can spice them up with my late start annuals, when no one else has them. Last year I had lobelias blooming in October!
Ruby

Postby packrat79 » Apr 24, 2008 1:18 pm

Sure do have snow.... there's a bit less since those last pictures were taken, but it's still up to a foot deep in places where it drifted. When I started the greenhouse, I had to remove more than two feet of snow from the site before I could even get started. It was indeed a long and difficult winter.
Some of my plants have been late getting started, but you may have an idea about selling plants later than everyone else. I was aiming to start selling plants around the end of May, about the time when the nurseries start up. Last year I tried to buy Marigolds around the first of June and I could only find a handful of them at one local greenhouse, most people told me they sold out fast. So now that I'm planning to try selling them myself, I was sure to plant plenty - over 300 in all!
packrat79

Next

Return to Plant Talk