Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

What have you bought so far?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Apr 17, 2008 12:49 am

Scrap,

Those miniature roses are so cute! They don't survive in my zone though. Do they have a long period of bloom? Where do you place them in your garden so they don't get "lost"?

Linda,

There's no stopping once you start buying!
DonnaZn2SK

Postby joan w » Apr 17, 2008 6:56 am

Wow, the minis survive your winters. I must try another one.

Scrapinthehat. dp you get any particular kind?
Image Image
joan w

Postby Eeyore » Apr 17, 2008 9:53 am

I've got a lovely yellow mini rose, but I saw the peach ones Scrap mentioned and I am soooo tempted to buy some more.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby haili » Apr 17, 2008 12:17 pm

I have a bunch of the mini roses as they were used as table centre pieces at the hockey dances here and my daughter would give me one every spring. They were really great in our hot dry summer last year. I do find that the red ones are the hardiest and have lost a couple of the yellow ones. I did buy 2 new yellow and 2 dark red last year and they seem to have survived the winter. If they get black spot, I dig them up and put them in pots and the new soil seems to help.

My new plant today (while looking for something else) is a dark blue, blue clips campanula from Home Depot.

I noticed in my travels that Walmart is charging more for pansies than the garden center; $1.89 per cell pack as opposed to $1.39 at the co-op.
haili

Postby Hushypuppy » Apr 17, 2008 12:44 pm

Hi..I'm zone 5 and I have a pink mini that flowers all summer long. Have had it for 3 years now with no problem. I just cover it with hay and a styrofoam cone for the winter, and in the spring it pops right up with the other roses. It is in front of my rose garden, just to it's left is it's Momma.
Momma is the same color and about 4 feet tall.LOL.
I got the mini in a nice pot 3 years ago for Christmas and it has survived nicely. So I say go for it!
So far I have bought
Dahlia (Pink, purple from costco)
Hostas
Begonias
Canna (Pink)
Way too many seeds: Holly hocks, Zinnia, Asters, pampas grass (White & Pink),Basil, oregano,Pansys, sweet peas, poppies (Not sown yet as the first batch died promptly, Digitalis,and many more that will be direct sown outside.

So much fun to see everyones lists....

Kris
A Basset Is An Asset!
Hushypuppy

Postby Scrapinthehat » Apr 17, 2008 1:10 pm

Yes the minis survive very well here. I lied though...I remember losing one once, but it wasn't looking great when I planted it (bought it on clearance, but had to try anyway). I do have them planted in bark now which offers up some added protection. However, at my last house the only protection they might have received is from the foliage of neighboring plants.

I think I have 8 total...well 10 now. Most have been bought at Home Depot, Superstore, Wal-mart, etc. so nothing special about them. In fact, most don't even come with tags on them.

I have two areas where I plant them, both south facing. One is a very small bed up against the deck (9'x 3') and I have them planted right at the very front with creeping thyme growing around them. The second area is a rose bed. I have five of them lining the walkway that separates this bed from a perennial bed. I've placed them just outside the stepping stones so they can be well seen...but not close enough to get a thorn in the ankle. lol. Also, I have mine planted in groups of 3 or 5 to make a bigger impact.

I have the real small (6-8") ones, but I am eyeballing some that get a little bigger (10-18") too. Thinking the slightly bigger ones for the rose bed and move some of the smaller ones against the deck.

Edited to add: yep...flowers all summer.
Attachments
peach mini rose 3.jpg
Last edited by Scrapinthehat on Apr 17, 2008 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scrapinthehat

Postby Lindamct » Apr 17, 2008 1:11 pm

Donna I got a nice little freebie in the mail today from Olivia :D . I am going out to plant it right now! WooooHoooo :lol:
Lindamct

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Apr 17, 2008 3:09 pm

Linda,

I'm jealous! I can't even begin to think about planting out for another 5 or 6 weeks. My lilies that I started inside are going to BLOOM inside!

Scrap,

Your mini rose is beautiful; no wonder you couldn't resist. The blooms are bigger than any mini rose I've seen.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Scrapinthehat » Apr 17, 2008 11:15 pm

Donna...I won't be planting for several weeks either. Doesn't stop me from buying though. Just make room where I can for now. I'll admit that most of the minis I saw were not in very good shape so I was fortunate to find the ones I did. Those blooms are, in fact, bigger than most I've seen. :D
Scrapinthehat

Postby Scrapinthehat » Apr 18, 2008 3:49 pm

My girlfriend called me at lunch stating that I needed to get out to our local favorite greenhouse quick as they were giving away $200 fountains per customer who purchased a min. of $25 worth of product. I could hardly believe my ears. So I rushed out there and picked up 4 more mini roses (3 fushia and 1 more peachy/pink - to go with the other two superstore ones). Got a real cute flatback fountain to put on my front veranda beside my front door. Made my day!
Scrapinthehat

PreviousNext

Return to Plant Talk