Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Spin-off of compost thread...

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Spin-off of compost thread...

Postby Scrapinthehat » Apr 17, 2008 11:50 pm

Anyone know anything about the compostumber? Saw it in a gardening magazine and thought it might be good. Thought I'd ask all the experienced gardeners here before contacting the company.

See www.compostumbler.com for those of you who are curious.
Scrapinthehat

Postby Eeyore » Apr 18, 2008 10:36 am

I'm looking at the smaller one available at Lee Valley. I don't have room for the bigger one.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Re: Spin-off of compost thread...

Postby Durgan » Apr 18, 2008 4:54 pm

Scrapinthehat wrote:Anyone know anything about the compostumber? Saw it in a gardening magazine and thought it might be good. Thought I'd ask all the experienced gardeners here before contacting the company.

See www.compostumbler.com for those of you who are curious.

I just throw the vegetation in a pile and forget it.

I have about 6 yards this year and have spread about half already. Starting May the first, I will get half a yard per day of vegetative compost from the city for thiry days for fall spreading on the beds. That is my fertilizer.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby Scrapinthehat » Apr 18, 2008 7:09 pm

Sounds great Durgan...not sure I have room for a pile though. I think I would prefer this method if I had a little corner to tuck it in.

While at a greenhouse today I was checking out their composters. I think this is the best solution for me, but they didn't have one with a handle for turning it...you actually have to lift it to spin it...yeah right!
Scrapinthehat

Postby A Closet Canuck » Apr 18, 2008 8:19 pm

Scrapinthehat wrote:Sounds great Durgan...not sure I have room for a pile though. I think I would prefer this method if I had a little corner to tuck it in.

While at a greenhouse today I was checking out their composters. I think this is the best solution for me, but they didn't have one with a handle for turning it...you actually have to lift it to spin it...yeah right!

The turning with the rotary tumblers is what accelerates the composting. So, a small composter that rotates can make a lot of compost in a season. I would love to have one but the price is a deterrent.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby Eeyore » Apr 18, 2008 9:51 pm

I've been trying to track down some Food Grade barrels but haven't had any luck. Then I could have a barrel for free!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Scrapinthehat » Apr 18, 2008 11:13 pm

I know what you mean about the price...the non-spinning one today was $200...yikes! That buys a lot of perennials...even "new releases" and "rare" varieties. I will definitely be getting one with a handle/crank even if it means waiting an extra year.
Scrapinthehat

Postby Paul zone5 » Apr 19, 2008 7:00 am

A while ago 2 people posted photos of home made tumblers.
Just north of Toronto
Paul zone5

Postby Eeyore » Apr 19, 2008 12:45 pm

Yes, and I considered those but they really would take up too much room on my property and I'd still need a food grade barrel. I even tracked down a set of plans on the internet before abandoning the idea.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Return to Plant Talk