Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Landscape designer in Ontario

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Landscape designer in Ontario

Postby countrychic » Mar 06, 2008 12:20 pm

I am thinking of calling in a landscape designer to view my back yard and draw up a plan of what and where I should plant. After 3 years of doing it myself, I am still frustrated and unsatisfied with the results. I looove gardening, and am learning as I go along. My family and friends say my garden is great. But I am still unhappy, lol.

I want to do the purchasing and planting myself. Budget is also a huge factor (stay at home mom), which is why I haven't looked at getting someone in before. Most landscaping companies wont take on a small residential project, and most also want to bring in their bulldozers and do it all in one sweep.

Do any of you know of any professional companies that would take the time to draw up a plan for me, so I will know how to shape my yard, what to buy and plant? I am west of Gta, zone 5.
Maybe online even?
countrychic

Postby Lindamct » Mar 06, 2008 12:31 pm

I have a full plate this year countrychic. 29 clients and building! However, talk to your local nursery. They may have a list of landscape people that may be available to you.
Lindamct

Postby Venice » Mar 06, 2008 4:52 pm

I know Sheridan nursery's offers landscape design.

http://www.sheridannurseries.com/Garden ... AMESET.htm

We offer a wide range of landscape design services that are flexible enough to suit all types of yards and gardens. Whether your design needs are large or small, or you simply need assistance planting your new plants, we have a service to suit your needs. Please see below for an explanation for the services we offer. If you are unsure as to which service would suit your needs best, feel free to fill in an on-line application form or phone us at 1-877-310-PLAN (7526) or 905-479-7429 to discuss your needs.

In-Store Sketch Service
Call the Sheridan Nurseries garden centre nearest you to arrange a time to meet with one of our design professionals for an in-store sketch service appointment. Bring in your property measurements and photos of the area you wish to landscape and our design expert will spend forty-five minutes with you suggesting foundation plantings ideas or planting solutions for a specific area. Our designer will review your likes and dislikes, as well as your property photographs to produce a sketch drawing of your garden.
Fees - $40 plus GST
(Up to 45 minutes and may include front or back yard.)

The At home consultation starts at $130.

I would definitely shop around, and call up some local landscape company's and nurseries.

Ven
Venice

Postby countrychic » Mar 06, 2008 5:21 pm

wow, I never knew they did that! thanks for the heads up. And affordable too. You've saved me mentally, financially and now I can do the happy dance, lol
countrychic

Postby slmd » Mar 11, 2008 7:44 pm

Hi,
I actually used this service last fall with Humber Nurseries on Hwy 27 just south of Hwy 7.
As I recall they charged a bit more, but gave you a kit to complete to make the most of your meeting time. I also got a gift certificate that made the final consultation cost in the $50 neighbourhood.
It was very helpful and they stayed within the constraints that I indicated so I'm looking forward to implementing their ideas this spring/summer.
It's great to have something like that to hand so that my investments will be made with the benefit of a plan.

Good luck
Sandra
slmd

Postby countrychic » Mar 14, 2008 10:42 am

I have called Sheridan, a designer will contact me shortly. I am going for the 1 hour consultation at my home, includes a not-to-scale sketch, plant list, and a discount coupon. $135. There are other options too. Looking forward to this very much, just need the snow to melt!
countrychic

Postby Eeyore » Mar 14, 2008 10:48 am

Wow! That is a great way to get started! What a deal!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby countrychic » Apr 15, 2008 12:56 pm

The snow is gone! I got a break from the rain to tidy up the lawn and beds...and the Sheridan garden designer is coming this Friday!

whaoo, can't wait!

Just holding thumbs she is fantastic and will come up with wow ideas to transform my yard!
countrychic

Postby countrychic » Apr 18, 2008 5:00 pm

Thank you Venice for recommending Sheridan. She came and filled my head with so many ideas, I am thrilled!
Now I have peace of mind of what is staying, what is moving and what to add.
It was worth it. Now I sit back and page through the new Sheridan catalogue, and everything makes so much more sense.

I have a lot of work ahead of me, gotta go dig out some sod, lol
countrychic

Postby Scrapinthehat » Apr 18, 2008 6:50 pm

Glad to here you have a vision of your yard. It can definitely be overwhelming. Sometimes all it takes is some fresh eyes to give you a new perspective. Be sure to take some pics to share. :)
Scrapinthehat

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas