Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Anybody have a major gardening project this year?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby A Closet Canuck » Apr 18, 2008 4:08 pm

I love your shed, Lyn. How cheerful! How gardenish are those colors!!!
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby murphy » Apr 18, 2008 6:52 pm

I guess you could....and you could do downward facing dog while you pot...I will design it myself....just a platform with latice on two sides and a trellis above to grow nice scented stuff and to provide shad...enough room to have a couple of yoga mats...some candles and I can go and practice yoga in it when I am not chasing Japanese lily beetles....and meditate.
murphy

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Apr 18, 2008 7:06 pm

Is everyone doing the work themselves, or hiring it out?

My next-door neighbors dug up most of the beautiful perennial garden the previous owners had put in and replaced it with crushed rock and evergreens. It's not to my taste, but if you aren't a gardener, you don't want to be shackled to your yard either. There are some really beautiful gardens in our area, I imagine there is a bit of pressure to conform to at least a minimum standard.

Anybody else think that Spring is THE best time of year? All this new growth, and before the bugs come out?
DonnaZn2SK

Postby kelly_m » Apr 18, 2008 7:32 pm

Doing it myself....Can't call myself a gardener if someone else does it!!!

Spring...The most wonderful time of the year!!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Venice » Apr 18, 2008 9:07 pm

I'm going to reconvert a bed, that had been the smoker's spot. Then I'm going to put in my fountain and Dahlia's along the fence where the Tomatoes used to be. the tomatoes are moving past the gate.

Then out front I have to clean up and shape the front bed. and I'm dying to put in a small retaining wall (4' long, 18" high or so) between the front steps between me and my neighbor. I want to move my astilbe and hosta's there.

The problem I'm having now is I have to make a list of all my plants, either ones I've bought or grown from seed. and I have to make a chart of heights and bloom times. and then sort out what's going where hhaha.

Don't worry I'll be asking for plent of tips when the time comes.

Ven
Venice

Postby Eeyore » Apr 18, 2008 9:41 pm

The Closet Canuck wrote:I love your shed, Lyn. How cheerful! How gardenish are those colors!!!

Thanks Trish, my daughter calls it the John Deere shed. :lol:

We'll be doing the work ourselves.

Ven - I thought you said "Where they had been smokin' pot...." :oops:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Venice » Apr 18, 2008 9:46 pm

hahahahaha. sorry 'bout that!!! hahaha

I always call my veggies in pots my 'pot garden'. I get a few raised brows. hahah but then I clarify.

Ven
Venice

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Apr 19, 2008 12:22 am

Venice,

When you plan a new flower bed, do you lay down a garden hose in the approximate shape that you want? That helps me...often my husband will say that is WAY too big, but I stand my ground! (You see, he's the one who has to dig up the sod and add the soil)...

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's projects this summer. Do you watch those gardening shows where they (a crew of 200) completely transform a garden in one or two days? That is SO not my experience!
DonnaZn2SK

Projects

Postby Denise4bOnt » Apr 19, 2008 7:42 am

I am building a pond this spring, actually I've already started, it's such an exciting project!!

Hubby used a back-hoe it roughly dig the hole last fall and I have been shaping it by hand. I've been reading lots of books and I have a vision in my head of want I want, we went to pick out a skid of flag stone a couple days ago and it's was rather interesting that the worker kept asking hubby what kind of pond HE was building, hubby kept saying that it was my project but for some reason the worker wouldn't acknowledge me at all. I suppose he figured a little ole weak female couldn't possibly be going to move a skid of stone all by her lonesome without having a big strong male to help. Funny.

I'll have to take pictures through the steps, should be very interesting.
The one who plants a tree
looks at the world through eyes
which see tomorrow, not today
Denise4bOnt

Postby Venice » Apr 19, 2008 2:30 pm

umm ya I did do that when making the beds originally.

Actually this section was part of the main bed, but then the last couple years I just put down landscape fabric and mulch, so it was more a walk way and housed the big smoker.

All I have to do now is move the mulch over and pull up the fabric. So I'm not really doing much work on the actual bed. It's just well, naked, so I'll have a time figuring out where I want all my plants etc. I'm going to take some pictures and measurements today, to start my plans.

Ven
Venice

Previous

Return to Plant Talk