Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Deer Manure

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Deer Manure

Postby agedgardener2 » Apr 19, 2008 1:11 pm

[b]DD called last night and said here yard is peppered with Deer droppings....some right by the house.She isn't a gardener but has planted shrubs and trees and has what she calls a "meadow Garden" ie hayfield.There are old apple trees and sumac which the deer just love.She has heard and seen Deer all winter.Will the dropping be full of weeds like uncomposted cow and horse Manure?[/b]
agedgardener2

Postby Katherine » Apr 19, 2008 3:46 pm

None, just full of stuff like tulips, lily sprouts, flowering dogwood shoots, rose shoots, that kind of thing.

Seriously, deer dont eat a lot of weed species, except the weedier grasses, but mostly native shrub and herbaceous greens that are coming up in clearings, at this time of the year, so thier pellets dont usually germinate a lot of weed seeds, but your DD might have some help with the pruning.

kat
Katherine

Postby agedgardener2 » Apr 19, 2008 5:08 pm

Katherine The snow was so deep this year the only nibbling they found was sunac and wild apples.I told here to put around her shrubs as a mulch.She does take pride in her sunflowers at the cottage.JOY
agedgardener2

Postby Venice » Apr 19, 2008 7:39 pm

We have heaps and heaps of bunny poo. I'm hopeing it'll serve as manure hahahah.

Ven
Venice

Postby agedgardener2 » Apr 20, 2008 9:40 am

Venice, I've heard somewhere that bunnie poo is the very best.Lucky you.I have a quantity of cat poo in certain spots .No weeds in it!!JOY
agedgardener2

Return to Plant Talk