Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Zoo Manu for my lawn

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Zoo Manu for my lawn

Postby CatFish » Apr 19, 2008 10:54 am

has anyone had any experience with zoo manure? Im sure there is nothing like zebra and elephant composted doodie. Our zoo is going to be selling some of theirs on mom's day weekend. I was thinking about getting it to top dress my lawn with. Our back lawn is in bad shape. Part of it gets the blazing hot sun as it faces west. The nicest part is in the fence shade for most of the day. Its very uneven. The sod that we got apparently wasnt the greatest even though it was recommended. We have lots of weeds and mushrooms growing. yes mushrooms are growing in the hot crunch areas too. I pulled out a lot of weeds and mushrooms and now have bare spots where they were. I was thinking about either using City compost or trying out the Zoo Manu and over seeding the heck out of it. I want to try evening it out and get a nice thick soft grassy back yard instead of having a lumpy crunch one.

Any suggestions? Any suggestions on type of lawn seed. the middle is in blazing sun for the afternoon to evening.
CatFish

Postby Eeyore » Apr 19, 2008 12:48 pm

Catfish, are you in Edmonton? I bought Zoo Manu one year but I found it was pricey compared to the sheep and steer manure you can get from CT or other places. Poop is poop as far as I can tell and I'm not sure there would be a significant difference in it's effectiveness.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby CatFish » Apr 19, 2008 5:00 pm

yup I am....what a lovely day it turned out to be today!! I think this year they were selling it for 6.50 for 11kgs. I havent ever bought that kind of stuff before so i dont even know it that is good or not. I am thinking about going out to greenland, think thats what it called, and getting the city composte. If it works really well I dont mind paying the extra for it.

I just want to find the best way to make my lawn soft and green. I was hoping that i could go out and rake it soon to get all the dead and mould out but that wont be happening for a while yet...stupid snow!
CatFish

Postby Eeyore » Apr 19, 2008 8:54 pm

Greenlands is selling the City compost? I was wondering where to get it. I wonder if it's bagged or bulk?
Yeah, this snow and cold is something else isn't it? I did some reaking and cleaning up last weekend, I was hoping it would stay nice and then we could get to the staining. :x
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby CatFish » Apr 19, 2008 9:22 pm

If you go to the City of Edmonton website and go under the Environment(top) and then Compost and then compost sales there is a list of several places that sell it. I think its all bulk.
CatFish

Postby Eeyore » Apr 20, 2008 12:19 am

Thanks Catfish! I'll have a look.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby green thumb guy » Apr 20, 2008 7:20 am

Zoo Poo is also a means of raising funds for the Zoo.

I'd say go with the Zoo Poo and support their efforts.

I have used some from my local Zoo in my gardens and was pleased.

:D
green thumb guy

Return to Plant Talk