Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Repotting, Fertilizing and a disappointing Hibiscus

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Repotting, Fertilizing and a disappointing Hibiscus

Postby KylieM » Apr 20, 2008 1:51 pm

Hello! :wink: I'm in central Ontario here, and it is beautiful outside! I hope everyone else is having nice weather too.

So, onto my question. I have a Hibiscus, Cyclamen, Kalanchoe and a Coffee plant that all need repoted (their roots are all coming through their conainers). Do I need to add fertilizer to the new soil before I put them in new pots, and what type of fertilizer do I have to use for each plant? Thank you. :)

Also, I am so disappointed because a flower on my Hibiscus that was looking like it was going to bloom beautifully just fell off this morning. Not just the flower, but the little green case it is in as well. It didn't even get a chance to bloom :( Is there a reason why it fell off like this?

-Kylie
KylieM

Postby Venice » Apr 20, 2008 2:00 pm

I had trouble with my Hibiscus dropping it's blossoms and I read they like Epson salts. So I put about a tbs in some warm water to disolve it and watered it with that. Works like a charm. I use it on the one in the garden too. I should add some more come to think of it.

Good luck

Ven
Venice

Postby KylieM » Apr 20, 2008 2:27 pm

How much water do you mix the tablespoon into? :?
KylieM

Postby KylieM » Apr 20, 2008 2:32 pm

How much water do you mix the tablespoon into? :?
KylieM

Postby Venice » Apr 20, 2008 3:00 pm

ummm my watering can? hahahah

I would start with say 1 tsp a liter and try that. Then you can just sprinkle some on the soil and when you water over time it'll absorb in, but I'd dissolve it in the first batch.

Ven
Venice

Postby KylieM » Apr 20, 2008 5:26 pm

Haha! Okay, great thanks! :)
KylieM

Re: Repotting, Fertilizing and a disappointing Hibiscus

Postby A Closet Canuck » Apr 20, 2008 5:44 pm

KylieM wrote:Hello! :wink: I'm in central Ontario here, and it is beautiful outside! I hope everyone else is having nice weather too.

So, onto my question. I have a Hibiscus, Cyclamen, Kalanchoe and a Coffee plant that all need repoted (their roots are all coming through their conainers). Do I need to add fertilizer to the new soil before I put them in new pots, and what type of fertilizer do I have to use for each plant? Thank you. :) .....

-Kylie

Some major brands of potting soil come with fertilizers already in them but the amount is relatively small (about 1% or less by weight). IMHO, it would be difficult to accurately incorporate the right amount into your potting soil; with too much you run the risk of burning the plant's root.

So, you can either buy the commercial potting soil with fertilizer in it, or you can repot your plants in regular potting soil and feed the plants liquid fertilizer every so often following package directions.

Hope this helps!
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby isabelbrinck » May 08, 2008 9:37 pm

I have 3 out of 4 of the same plants as you :)

I've had my Hibiscus for a couple of years now, and have learned a bit about it through trial and error and helpful advice on this forum. Mine started doing much better with the blooming after I started feeding it regularly. If I could find my plant journal, I could tell you how frequently... but in the meantime, I can say that I use a powdered fertilizer that you dissolve and water the plant with. The label says it's for Flowering Plants. I have also used a concentrated liquid version meant for African Violets ("and other flowering plants", it says on the label so...) that also needs to be dissolved in the plant's "drinking" water. When I started feeding regularly, say once a month, or every 2 weeks (per the label, of course), I began getting multiple blooms, nice big ones.

There are also other issues that come up periodically and need to be dealt with to keep her happy: whiteflies, quick temperature changes, etc. She's a sensitive one, but she makes me happy.

A quick tip for when something is making the plant weak and the buds drop off like you described: snap off buds before they flower, so that they plant saves energy until it's healthy enough.

Also, consider posting this on the Container Gardening forum, we need you!
Attachments
hibiscus.jpg
Candy Wind
Isabel
Montreal, QC
Hardiness Zone 5a
isabelbrinck

Return to Plant Talk