Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Wormwood, Wigaelia, Hyacinths...

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Wormwood, Wigaelia, Hyacinths...

Postby Stonetown Gardner » Apr 21, 2008 9:24 am

They're all looking pretty dead out there... are they late starters?? Please tell me yes.

The wormwood was awesome last year - loved it, but now there's no green.

I realized a few days ago the wigaelia's are good for zone 4... we're 5 something or other (a and b I think) - are they goners? I only had two but I wanted to line the walk way with them.

The hyacinths (think that's the name...) are just two lonely little sticks poking out of the ground. I sure hope there's something brewing beneath.
Stonetown Gardner

Postby A Closet Canuck » Apr 21, 2008 9:40 am

What might of happened that you think your plants are dead? Was it a particularly severe winter? Was there a drought? Are your plants in a spot that is not compatible with growth? If none of these is true, your plants are probably still alive.

Some plants are just slow to get going. My wormwood has emerged in one spot, my hyacinths are in bloom right now, and my double daffs are poking out of the ground about an inch BUT I live hundreds of miles south of you.

This has been a very late Spring across North America. Keep your fingers crossed and don't think about taking any action against these plants until late May.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Re: Wormwood, Wigaelia, Hyacinths...

Postby B_BQ » Apr 21, 2008 10:15 am

Stonetown Gardner wrote:They're all looking pretty dead out there... are they late starters?? Please tell me yes.

The wormwood was awesome last year - loved it, but now there's no green.

I realized a few days ago the wigaelia's are good for zone 4... we're 5 something or other (a and b I think) - are they goners? I only had two but I wanted to line the walk way with them.

The hyacinths (think that's the name...) are just two lonely little sticks poking out of the ground. I sure hope there's something brewing beneath.

Just jumping in here - Zone 4 is a much more severe zone than Zone 5a or 5b. Anything which can survive in a Zone 4 garden should do very very well in a Zone 5, or higher, garden. Weigelas should do very well for you in your Zone 5. I'm Zone 5a/5b and they do very well for me. Mine are not showing any sign of life yet, but they're notoriously late starters. Just hold tight!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Sharon Bryson » Apr 21, 2008 12:21 pm

The hyacinths (think that's the name...) are just two lonely little sticks poking out of the ground

Would you perchance have a Hydrangea? They are all late to break bud, so don't despair.
Do you recall what it looked like last season?
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Postby Stonetown Gardner » Apr 21, 2008 1:36 pm

Thanks for the reassurance!

Yes... they might be hydrangeas. I can't remember. :oops: We just put them in in the fall, and they were tiny, so we didn't see them bloom. They were my SO's choice - he says they get giant flowers on them.

Good to hear about the wigaelias! I just learned something new about zones - lower numbers mean harsher climates!

My SO also keeps telling me to be patient... I just hate thinking that they died over the winter! Nothing out of the ordinary this past winter, except a LOT of snow - but you would think that would be insulating. Many of our perennials were bought for $1 in the fall and planted then, so I sometimes wonder if they were hardy enough to make it.
Stonetown Gardner

Postby Sharon Bryson » Apr 21, 2008 5:56 pm

he says they get giant flowers on them.

There are many types of Hydrangeas....this one is quite common.
Hydrangea arborescens 'Grandiflora'
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Postby A Closet Canuck » Apr 21, 2008 10:26 pm

Stonetown Gardner wrote:Thanks for the reassurance!

Yes... they might be hydrangeas. I can't remember. :oops: We just put them in in the fall, and they were tiny, so we didn't see them bloom. They were my SO's choice - he says they get giant flowers on them.

Good to hear about the wigaelias! I just learned something new about zones - lower numbers mean harsher climates!

My SO also keeps telling me to be patient... I just hate thinking that they died over the winter! Nothing out of the ordinary this past winter, except a LOT of snow - but you would think that would be insulating. Many of our perennials were bought for $1 in the fall and planted then, so I sometimes wonder if they were hardy enough to make it.

Patience is a virtue in gardening, as is hope!! I've put many a "dead" plant into the composter only to find it in bud the next time I opened the composter lid. LOL
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby Eeyore » Apr 21, 2008 10:55 pm

Been there and done that Trish! Or dug up dead roses only to find new growth below ground....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Stonetown Gardner » Apr 22, 2008 7:05 am

One of my wigaelias is budding - woohoo! Wormwood still looking deader than a nit, as is the hyacinth/hydrangreas/whatever they are.

But as you all say, patience is a virtue! I'll be keeping my eyes peeled.
Stonetown Gardner

Return to Plant Talk