Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Morning Glory Massacre!!!

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Morning Glory Massacre!!!

Postby Venice » Apr 20, 2008 6:33 pm

Ok so I was moving some of my pots around. The seedlings don't need to be right under the light anymore, so I moved them out and started some new seeds with some herbs, greens and a few more flowers.

Well, everything was going fine, and then disaster hit. I moved the shelf, and it bumped the tray on the next shelf and poof 5 of my MG's toppled over 3 ft to the floor some came out of their dirt altogether. They're all attached to their little trelis's so that made it worse.

Sooooooo I transplanted them up into a bit bigger pots. I can't put them in 2 gallon pots yet, 'cause their's no room to keep them inside.

Sooo can I REALLY leave these babies outside????

I'm too scared to leave them out, yet, without some shade either.

oh well I hope they survive. Only one of them showed damage to the stem. If they don't make it I still have time for another batch. I'm never starting them this early again ahhaha.

Ven
Venice

Postby packrat79 » Apr 20, 2008 6:46 pm

I had a similar accident with a half dozen trays of Alyssum and several trays of Delphiniums, which I had sitting on a crude homemade shelf in a basement window. The shelf worked great last year but I hadn't thought to inspect it before using it again. Just hours after setting the trays of plants on the shelf, I heard a loud crash and knew right away what had happened. The Alyssum were only a few days old so it was no big deal to plant some more, but the Delphiniums were several weeks old so I lost a lot of progress. A hard lesson learned.
packrat79

Re: Morning Glory Massacre!!!

Postby butterfly » Apr 20, 2008 7:49 pm

Venice wrote:Ok so I was moving some of my pots around. The seedlings don't need to be right under the light anymore, so I moved them out and started some new seeds with some herbs, greens and a few more flowers.

Well, everything was going fine, and then disaster hit. I moved the shelf, and it bumped the tray on the next shelf and poof 5 of my MG's toppled over 3 ft to the floor some came out of their dirt altogether. They're all attached to their little trelis's so that made it worse.

Sooooooo I transplanted them up into a bit bigger pots. I can't put them in 2 gallon pots yet, 'cause their's no room to keep them inside.

Sooo can I REALLY leave these babies outside????

I'm too scared to leave them out, yet, without some shade either.

oh well I hope they survive. Only one of them showed damage to the stem. If they don't make it I still have time for another batch. I'm never starting them this early again ahhaha.

Ven

So sorry to hear this but no you can't leave outside yet, it's far too cold at nite and frost will come yet

so if you have them outside take them inside at nite or you will loose them
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Eeyore » Apr 21, 2008 10:35 am

Butterfly is right. However at the very worst, you can direct sow MG's later on. The blooms will be later but you will have blooms this summer.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby murphy » Apr 21, 2008 7:59 pm

You are in the GTA and I live in BArrie...I put mine out five days ago...first day was in the shade and they have been in the full sun since. If the nigh temp is going to drop below 6 I will bring them in. I had all my seedlings and my Datura out and they are thriving. We are getting very warm weather...today it was 25 with a low of 11 tonight and back up to 21 in the morning.....for the next week it is not expected to dip below 6 at night. I think you are safe to put them in a sheltered spot outside then into the sun after 24 hours as long as they are not getting a wind or chill. I am going to be watching forecasts closely so I know when I need to drag stuff in.
murphy

Postby dlb » Apr 21, 2008 8:12 pm

I usually start putting plants outside in the covered bed when it's 10C during the day, and leave them out overnight when the minimum temp is 5C.
Dora
dlb

Postby Venice » Apr 21, 2008 8:44 pm

They seem to be doing well so far. I left one outside last night and it's fine.

Got the Gazebo up today, so the plants are going out tomorrow. That way they can get some shade first. Then I'll put them in the sun.

The only thing I have to keep them warm at night is my lil 4 shelf greenhouse, and it's not nearly big enough hmmmmm. Guess I'll just have to watch the temps too. I'll see if I can get a temp alarm to remind me when to bring them in.

Ven
Venice

Return to Plant Talk