Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

I hope this doesn't affect the plants

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

I hope this doesn't affect the plants

Postby Eeyore » Apr 19, 2008 12:39 pm

This is our long range forecast. I hope this cold doesn't kill the stuff that is starting to pop up. I'm most worried about the clematis that is up about 2 inches, the peonies and the bleeding hearts. They are showing the most growth.
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caab0103
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Katherine » Apr 19, 2008 1:16 pm

You were mentioning in another thread some where that you were expecting night time temperatures of - 17. I would think covering the more tender stuff is not a bad idea. Newspaper works quite well but it has to be secured of course. I wish you luck, its dreadful weather you are having, Lyn. Hopefully you dont have a lot of advanced growth yet.

We are getting -5 and snow, and have to make a trip to Vancouver by car, and have already taken the snowtires off... who knew?

ke
Katherine

Postby Eeyore » Apr 19, 2008 8:57 pm

Yeah, it sucks doesn't it? Drive safe.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby dlb » Apr 20, 2008 10:31 am

Snow, snow, snow! I appreciate that this is good for us in the long run, because we had very little snow all winter, but did we have to catch up on one weekend? Better to do it now than in June, right?

The good thing about the snow is that it probably protects the plants by insulating them. I put extra snow over my winter sowing jugs and over the plants I knew were up.

Meanwhile the living room is filled with tomato plants, potted up plants, and my purchases from the garden show this weekend.

Dora
dlb

Postby Scrapinthehat » Apr 20, 2008 11:11 am

Not too worried about perennials...they can easily be replaced, just trees (ie. Ohio Buckeye, and Crimson Sentry Maple) that have buds on them...pretty sure a late snowfall killed my Maple last year. Would be better if they were more established....sigh...I really NEED shade...
Scrapinthehat

Postby butterfly » Apr 20, 2008 3:23 pm

perennials usually pull themselves back in when there is a cold snap

I would not be concerned

It has happened here and they turn out ok
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby A Closet Canuck » Apr 20, 2008 5:51 pm

The weather just sucks sometimes, doesn't it??

In my experience the peonies will be O.K. Here they are poking out of the ground long before the snow stops flying and the temps stop dropping. Bitterly cold winds are more of a threat than snow. You might push a bit of mulch around them, just to be on the safe side.

As for the clemmie, I think drought is more of a killer than late cold, wet weather. If the stems dieback, the bloom will be delayed but the plant should survive.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby (old_user)earwig » Apr 21, 2008 6:37 pm

Lynn, I have been thinking about you western folk and hoping that the snow will protect the plants from the cold you are also having.

I have been watching your highway cams as I was wondering if my sister in Red Deer was getting it. Not a pretty sight at all!

Keep us posted on how things fare.
Betty
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished. ~Lao Tzu
(old_user)earwig

Postby dlb » Apr 21, 2008 7:48 pm

Interesting bit of trivia about snow - 10 inches of white fluffy white snow is equivalent to a six inch thick piece of fibreglass insulation with an R18 factor.

Once the snow starts to compact its insulating powers decrease, but hopefully by the time that happens we'll be above zero again.
Dora
dlb

Postby Eeyore » Apr 21, 2008 10:16 pm

It got cold before it snowed which is why I was worried. The garden showing the most growth is on the south side of the house so it will likely be OK. The darn weather system has circled back but the long range has improved and we are supposed to be back up above 0 by Friday, although the overnights are still below freezing.
This is ridiculous!!!!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Next

Return to Plant Talk