Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

planting seeds...too early?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

planting seeds...too early?

Postby 3725 » Apr 21, 2008 3:36 pm

...hi from tim...i live just south of hanover,on..(zone 5b?)....
..ok, we have had very nice, warm weather the past week, (80*f), do you think it is too early, to start planting seeds, in my veggie garden?..i'm thinking about green beans, yellow beans, etc...thanks...tim..

Postby Eeyore » Apr 21, 2008 5:21 pm

I'm no expert on veggie planting but it seems to me that beans don't like cold soil so if you can't sit on it for any length of time it isn't warm enough yet. There are some things that can be planted this soon though. I believe Inge said lettuce and peas don't mind the colder soil.

check this thread, about 1/2 way down the first page is a listing that you can use.

http://www.canadiangardening.com/forum/ ... hp?t=10151
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby murphy » Apr 21, 2008 7:44 pm

the only thing I would risk planting right now would be peas perhaps...and some lettuce seeds if I was able to cover them if it turned to frost. The thing is even though it is nice right now we still could get snow and frost for another month. A hint I can offer is that old clear 2l pop bottles make great covers for seedlings...cut the bottom off and then place them over the seedling or tender plant...in the morning you can leave it on and take the cap off to vent heat...cap it again at night. It protects them from frost and from wind chill.
murphy

Re: planting seeds...too early?

Postby Big Smile » Apr 21, 2008 9:46 pm

3725 wrote:...hi from tim...i live just south of hanover,on..(zone 5b?)....
..ok, we have had very nice, warm weather the past week, (80*f), do you think it is too early, to start planting seeds, in my veggie garden?..i'm thinking about green beans, yellow beans, etc...thanks...tim..

Hi Tim ,Welcome to the forum

I'm just a bit south of you ,,down here in Gowanstown. On Saturday Hubby and I planted peas, lettuce, onions and potatoes. The frost won't hurt any of these , but it is too early to plant beans or corn.
Oh yes, I also planted a row of Glad bulbs, I plant them fairly deep so that it takes a few weeks for them to grow. Planting the bulbs deep makes for stronger plants.

Go ahead and plant your early veggies, peas and lettuce do much better in cooler weather. Beets , carrots and spinich can also be planted now.

Happy Gardening!

Clara
Big Smile

Would this be the same with containers??

Postby evepet » Apr 21, 2008 11:59 pm

I'm just wondering if this would be the same for a container garden? Is it safe to plant these 'earlier' vegetable seeds right into outside containers now, rather than nurse them along inside in trays so that I can have more developed seedlings to plant outside in my balcony containers in a few weeks ? I suppose if I planted them now outside, and we get the threat of cold overnight temps later, I could always move my balcony containers inside, or cover them up for additional protection somehow. My balcony is on an eastern exposure - pretty constant & direct full sun between 7am - noon. (By the way, I'm in Peterborough, ON... I believe it's Zone 5).
evepet

Postby Durgan » Apr 22, 2008 5:53 am

Big Smile wrote:I'm just a bit south of you ,,down here in Gowanstown. On Saturday Hubby and I planted peas, lettuce, onions and potatoes. The frost won't hurt any of these , but it is too early to plant beans or corn.
Oh yes, I also planted a row of Glad bulbs, I plant them fairly deep so that it takes a few weeks for them to grow. Planting the bulbs deep makes for stronger plants.
Go ahead and plant your early veggies, peas and lettuce do much better in cooler weather. Beets , carrots and spinich can also be planted now.
Happy Gardening!
Clara
[/b]

Big Smile.
I totally agree with you, and have had great success in planting during the warm spell in April. In the ground are seeds: potatoes, peas, parsnips, lettuce, spinach, beets, carrots, and radishes.
I also put in brussel sprouts, cauliflower,and broccoli seedlings, but mine are still too small so I have them in pots. The 24 of May mindset needs to be shattered. Of course, some plants certainly will not grow if it is cold, but there are many that almost require cool weather. I am in Zone 5 (B).

The soil is probably as big a factor as the weather temperature. Poorly drained soil probably won't work. My soil conditions are almost perfect.

Regards,
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Re: Would this be the same with containers??

Postby Big Smile » Apr 22, 2008 7:10 am

evepet wrote:I'm just wondering if this would be the same for a container garden? Is it safe to plant these 'earlier' vegetable seeds right into outside containers now, rather than nurse them along inside in trays so that I can have more developed seedlings to plant outside in my balcony containers in a few weeks ? I suppose if I planted them now outside, and we get the threat of cold overnight temps later, I could always move my balcony containers inside, or cover them up for additional protection somehow. My balcony is on an eastern exposure - pretty constant & direct full sun between 7am - noon. (By the way, I'm in Peterborough, ON... I believe it's Zone 5).

evepet, yes it would be the same for a container garden. I planted lettuce in a container and it does much better than when I plant it in the garden. lettuce likes lots of moisture and being in a container I can water it everyday. I used this method for the first time last year and we had wonderful lettuce for many weeks.

Clara
Big Smile

Postby Big Smile » Apr 22, 2008 11:02 am

[

Big Smile.
I totally agree with you, and have had great success in planting during the warm spell in April. In the ground are seeds: potatoes, peas, parsnips, lettuce, spinach, beets, carrots, and radishes.
I also put in brussel sprouts, cauliflower,and broccoli seedlings, but mine are still too small so I have them in pots. The 24 of May mindset needs to be shattered. Of course, some plants certainly will not grow if it is cold, but there are many that almost require cool weather. I am in Zone 5 (B).

The soil is probably as big a factor as the weather temperature. Poorly rained soil probably won't work. My soil conditions are almost perfect.

Regards,[/quote]

Durgan , we have a Honda GX 31, not as powerful as yours . Looks like your Honda can handle just about anything.

You do have an interesting website.

Clara

PS: just curious,,are you involved with the Horticulture Society in Brantford?
Big Smile

Postby 3725 » Apr 22, 2008 11:18 am

...great tips...i'm roto-tilling this morning..i'm gonna put in some lettuce, and broccoli this week..

when things start happening, (coming up), i am going to seek out some straw, as a mulch. i did this years ago, and it worked out well, keeping weeds in check.
i also used wood chips,that were free from a tree removal/trimming company.

i was surprised to find out that, in toronto, the tree companies had to drive out east, to north of oshawa for the disposal of the chips. the guy explained to me, that they had to pay to get rid of the chips...
when he found out i wanted them, he was all to happy to give them away...

this is a new area here, for me. i bought this property last march, and quickly put a garden in. this year, i am taking a more planned approach.
this forum is a great source of info...thanks,....tim..

Postby Durgan » Apr 22, 2008 3:51 pm

[quote="Big Smile"

Durgan , we have a Honda GX 31, not as powerful as yours . Looks like your Honda can handle just about anything.

You do have an interesting website.

Clara
[/b]
PS: just curious,,are you involved with the Horticulture Society in Brantford?[/quote]

The manufacfturers couldn't get the larger engine for awhile from Honda, but the smaller engine was available so they cheated a bit. Most people wouldn't notice the difference. I would quit gardening without the small high speed tiller. It is a close to me as my dog.

I belong to no society, just muddle through on my own. A bit of trial and error and deep observation helps.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Next

Return to Plant Talk