Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Crop Rotation

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Crop Rotation

Postby DMG » Apr 22, 2008 11:26 am

I think I understand the principle of the crop rotation. I have planted tomatoes in the same sunny spot for several years and for certain they are declining in quality. Does it matter what I plant in that spot as long as it is something different? Maybe lettuce, beans? I do add mulched leaves and some sheep manure to the beds to enhance the soil. Well this year I did anyway. DMG
Gardening in Zone 5
DMG

Postby kelly_m » Apr 22, 2008 12:06 pm

Okay...basically This is what everyone has in their veggie gardens...

Bed 1: Root Crops, onions
Bed 2: Legumes (peas, beans), brassicas (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussels sprouts)
Bed 3: Tomatoes, eggplant, capsicum (peppers)
Bed 4: Sweet corn, curcubits (cucumber, melons, pumpkin) (source: http://www.no-dig-vegetablegarden.com/c ... ation.html )

Each year you would rotate each of the "beds" to help replenish the pH levels in those areas...each family of veggies use different levels of nutrients, and replenish at different times. So...If you've planted tomatoes in the same spot for a few years, composting will help...so will adding lime...but then plant root crops where your tomatoes were...legumes where your roots were and corn and cucumber where your legumes were.

Make sure, though, you are not planting non-companions together..eg. tomatoes and potatoes do not grow well next to each other but toms and cukes do.

There is a lot on companion planting as well out there... If you are limited for space, there is always the "Three Sisters" approach...Corn, legumes and curcubits....plant the corn first...then the beans, and the melon/cuke/pumpkin...corn provides the stalk for the beans to grow up, and the shade for the pumpkins let's say, as the start to grow, and as the season progresses, the corn dies down, providing sun for the pumpkins to ripen.

I did 2 out of the three last year....had my best crop of beans ever!!LOL

K
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby dlb » Apr 22, 2008 12:07 pm

Lettuce might not grow that well in a 'hot spot'.

Legumes like beans or peas generally are good because they add nitrogen to the soil. Although I've read the return actually occurs when you work the deceased bean plant into the soil.
Dora
dlb

Return to Plant Talk