Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Rabbit Destroying My Plants!!!!!

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby patty » Apr 20, 2008 1:06 pm

lindamct wrote:Well our friendly neighborhood ground hog is back :!: . I mentioned some time ago that I would keep posting about this problem we have had over the years with this rodent. Well, guess what :!: The first sign was my Day Lilies being eaten right to the ground, when they were only up 6". So off I went to get that Castor Oil I had mentioned I would try. Guess What......it really does work. I peer out my top floor window, and he is happily eating away now in my neighbors flower beds!! WooooHoooo......so 1 ounce Castor Oil, 2 litres of water in your pump spray bottle around his favorite plants, and it really does work! Reapply after a rain or heavy due :D . They really don't like the smell. One day last week, we actually saw him go over to our Carpathian Bell flower crop, he turned up his nose, went on to the Hollyhocks, and did the same. I think we have him beat. I shall keep updating on my progress with this method of deterring the Ground Hog. :)

Ahhh I was trying to remember who it was on the forum that had a resident groundhog! And now I know it was you Linda.

Near the end of summer last year I seen what i thought was a very fat squirrel, walking up the garden path. I moved to another window to get a closer look, and it was a very fat groundhog...so fat his belly was scraping the ground. My first thought was "oh no what all have you dined on?" When I first started gardening I was hoping to attract wildlife, but never did I think a groundhog would move into town. I always thought of them in open pastures only.

I didn't notice any damaged or missing plants, but did wonder what garden plants they did like. I'll have to remember your castor oil recipe incase I ever need it.
patty

Postby Lindamct » Apr 20, 2008 1:13 pm

Yes it was me Patty! Just as a precaution, always have little ones in hand. The Castor Oil can be toxic if ingested in pure doses. Well so are so many of our garden ornamentals anyway! Now I know why my Grandma would always have a row of Castor Bean Plants right down the middle of her garden :lol: and in each corner! :) . They were absolutely amazing to look at. :)
Lindamct

Postby patty » Apr 20, 2008 2:21 pm

lindamct wrote:Yes it was me Patty! Just as a precaution, always have little ones in hand. The Castor Oil can be toxic if ingested in pure doses. Well so are so many of our garden ornamentals anyway! Now I know why my Grandma would always have a row of Castor Bean Plants right down the middle of her garden :lol: and in each corner! :) . They were absolutely amazing to look at. :)

Thanks Linda

huntingformorecastorbeanseedstosow.:)
patty

Postby Hushypuppy » Apr 22, 2008 2:44 pm

Get a Basset and the rabbit problem will be solved. It's the circle of life... :lol: No joke my cute little Hushymouse has basically removed the rabbit population arround our home. In a matter of 2 weeks this spring the rabbit family relocated to the neighbours after some family members came to an untimely demise. Just make sure you monitor the doggie door carefully, as there is nothing like feeling something furry under your foot as you go for your morning bowl of crispies only to discover it to be a rabbit part...

Best of luck

Kris
A Basset Is An Asset!
Hushypuppy

Previous

Return to Plant Talk