Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Starting Nasturiums from seed

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Starting Nasturiums from seed

Postby elm6 » Apr 22, 2008 12:17 pm

Hi everyone! I have started some nasturtium tall climbing vine seeds. They are now about 5 inches tall with 4-5 leaves on each. I transplanted them to slightly larger peat pots. Is there anything else I should be doing to ensure that they make it to the ground? I have no problem starting seeds but they never seem to make it to the garden. I obviously have so much to learn about starting seeds indoors. LIke when to start hardening them off! I live in Northern Ontario and it still gets quite cool here! I am really hoping to add these to my garden this year to attract more hummingbirds! ( They do attract hummingbirds? I hope, I hope!) Regardless I think that they are beautiful. I have mostly a perennial garden. So far everything looks like itr's coming back beautifully with the exception of my Hosta garden, many thanks to our puppy that went on a digging frenzy! Any ideas to rectify that!

Thanks
elm6

Postby Durgan » Apr 22, 2008 3:57 pm

I sow the nasturtium seeds directly into the ground about the 15 of May. I also noticed that they tend to bloom better in the Fall, when the weather is a bit cooler. They certainly are a nice plant and have a pretty name. The vegetation is most attractive also. Just an observation.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby elm6 » Apr 22, 2008 4:00 pm

I was planning on planting some seeds as well towards the end of May. I have never had luck with seeds. Hopefully they will take as I have heard and read they are very easy to grow!
elm6

Return to Plant Talk