Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Scrap - Did you get your lily bulbs yet?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby maryjanej » Apr 22, 2008 11:41 pm

Micheal,
I found some Rotenone dust brand name King at Walmart last week in Rockland.
Mary-Jane
maryjanej

Postby Grannygardener » Apr 23, 2008 12:11 am

I almost drowned myself along with those little B----rs over the last few years.Found a good sized container of King's brand potato dust at Canadian Tire. They also had smaller sized containers of Rotenone.Edie
I've spent most of my time in the garden,the rest I've wasted. Edie Zone4A, Ont.
Grannygardener

Postby green thumb guy » Apr 23, 2008 7:01 am

I have found about 8 on some "noses" of lilies poking out of the ground. I also found about 30 - 40 on one of my frittilaria.

I mixed up a spray bottle of sunlight (3 tbsp) and water and gave them a good spraying. They died pretty quickly in the foaming bath.
green thumb guy

Postby Scrapinthehat » Apr 23, 2008 11:32 am

Nope...no lilies yet. Too much snow here anyway. I like planting in pots first, but only if it is feasible to take them outside once in a while.
Scrapinthehat

Postby mike in Ottawa » Apr 23, 2008 6:30 pm

Update, now that my lillies have started coming up i found the little red ^%^%#$%^ were all over the place one lilly had 7 of them on it so i went to Richies here in Ottawa to get the potato dust.
I could'nt find the stuff so asked, and a young gentleman immediately found me some and then started to tell me all the things this product was good for, and all the scientific stuff involved, i then told him i wanted it to kill the Red lilly beetle, he was taken back and said that it was'nt what i needed but the best thing would be to use Scotts EcoSense Insecticide,
well i tried it last night on one patch of about 30 lillies which had about 20 little &**((()& on them, i sprayed them all, this morning i found still 2 live, sprayed them, just checked again and still 2 there but cant spray them as there is a massive thunderstorm and lightning going on.
This product does seem to work, but how compared to the potato dust, i dont know, I like the idea of the sunlight and water treatment, anything to get rid of these little _____________________
mike in Ottawa

Postby Eeyore » Apr 23, 2008 10:00 pm

Squish the remaining bugs. You want to get rid of them before they lay eggs. Don't fool around with those suckers.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby murphy » Apr 24, 2008 9:36 am

I have been using a little jar of water with vegetable oil on top...pick the beasts off the plants and drop them in the jar...they smother in the oil in seconds....can't say I feel sorry for them as they squirm either...and I am almost buddhist in my respect for creatures. So far have picked about forty and you know...there are only two pathetic little lilies up in the garden so far..the rest are still hiding.
murphy

Previous

Return to Plant Talk