Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

miniture Greenhouse

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

miniture Greenhouse

Postby Sheikea » Apr 22, 2008 9:37 am

Ok ladies a question.I bought myself a miniture greenhouse and living in the snowy alberta have gotten ahead of myself and bought seeds and bulbs.When should I set this little miracle up to start my seeds. I was wanting to last week so glad I did not..With almost a foot of snow or at least it seems..It would have been completely buried.Can i start them inside here in the house with it?Should I ?Craving to be outside and dirty..Huge huggles and flower kisses all.. :D
Sheikea

Re: miniture Greenhouse

Postby Durgan » Apr 22, 2008 7:42 pm

Sheikea wrote:Ok ladies a question.I bought myself a miniture greenhouse and living in the snowy alberta have gotten ahead of myself and bought seeds and bulbs.When should I set this little miracle up to start my seeds. I was wanting to last week so glad I did not..With almost a foot of snow or at least it seems..It would have been completely buried.Can i start them inside here in the house with it?Should I ?Craving to be outside and dirty..Huge huggles and flower kisses all.. :D

Alberta is a large Province with Calgary at the center, where growing anything is difficult. North of Calgary growing improves a bit, but the season is short. South of Calgary drought is a problem.

From the news I gather that there is snow at Calgary and points North of Calgary. The little greenhouse might work outside, but you will have to watch out for any temperature below about 8C at night. Most of the seedling can be well started indoors until they germinate, then they need good light. My view.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby Eeyore » Apr 22, 2008 11:53 pm

Actually Edmonton is in the center of the province and Calgary is 300KM further south with Red Deer almost smack dab in the middle between the 2.... There is a magic weather line that passes just north of Red Deer where almost inevitably there is a change in weather. If it's nice here it's crappy to the south and vice versa.... :lol: :lol: The line got blurred this past week and they didn't keep their snow, it is white all the way from the US border to about Cold Lake I think... :?

Anyway, geography lesson over, Sheikea is it one of those plastic greenhouses? If so, you'll have to wait awhile to set it up outside. You can set it up inside though and start your seeds.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Sheikea » Apr 23, 2008 9:45 am

Thank you so much for the advice.So would I be to early to start my seedlings?I have never done so before i normally just go buy the plants and go from there.?This is what I have atm Calla Lily its bagged,glads,16 Mr.Fokkers,and two Dahlia bulbs as well,freesia bulbs double and single blooms,pink babys breath,moring glories pink and purple,and chocolate ones as well ..Any advice as what to do would so helpful.Thank you a bunch .Hug flower hugs and kisses. :D
Sheikea

Postby Eeyore » Apr 23, 2008 11:03 am

I would wait about 2 more weeks and start the callas, they really don't need the greenhouse though. The dahlias I think can be started but there are others who know more about those than I do. I always start MG's outside because I find they get too spindly on me. If you want to start them indoors you can in about a week. They will grow fast though!
You can start the babys breath too. check the package for the instructions of when to start them.

What are Mr Fokkers???
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Plant Talk