Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Miniature Roses

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Miniature Roses

Postby GardenGeek » Apr 23, 2008 10:40 am

Hello everyone,

I just got a potted miniature rose as a gift and am wondering if this is something I could plant outdoors. I will probably try anyway over the summer but wanted to know if you have any tips to help better it's chances of survival.

Thanks, have a great day.
Sheri
Sheri

"My green thumb came only as a result of the mistakes I made while learning to see things from the plant's point of view." ~H. Fred Ale
GardenGeek

Postby Lindamct » Apr 23, 2008 10:43 am

He Sheri! They do wonderfully outside! They over Winter well for me! I have 4 now.
Lindamct

Postby Scrapinthehat » Apr 23, 2008 10:50 am

Hi Sheri...there is a bit of a discussion on this very topic on the thread "what have you bought so far?" if you are interested. I am very close in zone to you and have grown minis with great success for a long time. I have 8 in my garden right now with another 9 waiting to be planted. Once you start you'll be addicted.
Scrapinthehat

Postby dlb » Apr 23, 2008 10:57 am

Yes indeed you can plant them outdoors. In fact they probably do better outdoors than they do indoors over the long run.

Like any other rose, winter hardiness is variable and I mulch mine in the fall every year as I would a tender rose. I believe most of them are classified as a zone 4, which is sort of borderline hardiness in our area.

Dora
dlb

Postby Eeyore » Apr 23, 2008 11:05 am

I haven't had luck overwintering them outdoors but maybe the ones I've had were too tender.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby GardenGeek » Apr 23, 2008 11:10 am

I'm so excited - now if only this snow would melt ;)

I have a couple of great spots for them south facing. One more question - What are the height ranges on these? I have a habit of sticking things in the wrong spot only to dig them up and move them when they either grow too tall or are hidden behind other plants.

This just might be a sign as I am due in late July, I believe if it is before July 21, then the flower for that birth month is the rose. I was hoping to plant which ever flower it was going to be. It would be perfect - a mini rose for a mini me!

Thanks again.
Sheri

"My green thumb came only as a result of the mistakes I made while learning to see things from the plant's point of view." ~H. Fred Ale
GardenGeek

Postby Scrapinthehat » Apr 23, 2008 11:39 am

I mostly have the real minis ... 5-8" tall or so. If your plant is petite like this than chances are this is what you've got. There seems to be others that are the next size up ... around 10-18" or so and appear a bit harder to find...at least around here. They are quite lovey too and this size might be better suited to some gardens so they don't "get lost". Good luck and happy planting.

You may have to offer these plants a little protection in your yard. South facing sounds perfect.
Scrapinthehat

Minis

Postby Jewel1065 » Apr 23, 2008 1:27 pm

I have 3 now, 1 pink I have had for at least 5 years and 2 red I got on sale at Canadian Tire last year and they overwinter very well. Mine get about 5-8" tall. I just love them!
Jewel1065

Postby dlb » Apr 23, 2008 2:15 pm

Most of the ones I have are in the 15-18" range. The definition of what makes a miniature rose varies - some sources define it as roses with blooms less than 2-3 inches across. I forget the exact dimension.

I haven't had as much luck wintering over with the ones from box stores.
I just bought 3 new mini roses from the Calgary Rose Society, one of which has a bloom that is over 2 inches by a bit. Not scented unfortunately. One of the other is small and not that pretty, but practically sends out scent bombs. I think it's called Fairy Pink.

The CHS is having a miniature rose sale in May. If anyone wants information on the time and location of the sale, feel free to pm me.
Dora
dlb

Postby dlb » Apr 23, 2008 9:28 pm

I checked out the Calgary Rose Society webpage and there is a tipsheet link under the Growing Roses button,
http://www.calgaryrosesociety.ca/

Dora
dlb

Next

Return to Plant Talk