Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Potted Lily of the Valley

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Potted Lily of the Valley

Postby shutterbug » Apr 23, 2008 11:15 am

I have some Lily of the Valley that I put in my garden last year, but after some consideration, I have decided to take it out of the ground. I was wondering if it will survive multiple years in a large ceramic pot? What kind of care does it need for that?
shutterbug

Postby Eeyore » Apr 23, 2008 4:18 pm

I can't see why it wouldn't....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Sharon Bryson » Apr 23, 2008 6:25 pm

I expect the lily of the valley will survive, but your ceramic pot might not!
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Postby murphy » Apr 23, 2008 7:45 pm

Sharon Bryson wrote:I expect the lily of the valley will survive, but your ceramic pot might not!

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

My neighbor has lily of the valley spearing trough his driveway this year..it is quite the plant.
murphy

Postby Ruby » Apr 24, 2008 12:34 pm

They can do quite well in a pot, as long as you divide them out every two years or so. I potted some a couple of years ago and they are quite lovely, and, make a great cut flower too! I put annuals in after they have done their thing.

This is the year they get split, so, once they are finished, I will dump them out, split them up, and repot with some lobelia and impatiens. Stuff that just dies off each year. I have a big plastic urn rather than a ceramic pot, as its easier to manhandle them out of the pot.
Ruby

Postby shutterbug » Apr 24, 2008 1:37 pm

Thanks for all your replies. I just planted them last fall, and already they were choking some of the tulips that I planted them near. I'll be happy to move them somewhere where they can do less damage.
shutterbug

Return to Plant Talk