Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

i have finally started!

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

i have finally started!

Postby rick12 » Apr 23, 2008 9:33 pm

OK--i have a planter attached to the exterior wall of my house and i want to grow a vine that will hang-down as it grows. i want a vine that will not attach itself to the stucco wall but only hang-down. i live on vancouver island.

please everyone--point me in the right direction for plants!
rick12

Postby rick12 » Apr 23, 2008 10:01 pm

forgot to mention that it is a hot sunny wall
thanks
rick12

Postby B_BQ » Apr 23, 2008 10:22 pm

Hi rick12:

Annual Vines: Some of these might work for you. Liquorice, Vinca, Sweet Potato, a number of ivies, e.g. German, English, Swedish.

I'm not sure if there are any perennial vines which would survive being in only a planter; maybe Creeping Jenny. I'm sure some West Coast gardeners will jump in with some ideas.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Eeyore » Apr 23, 2008 10:24 pm

Silver Falls Dichondra is nice, almost any of the climbers, can be used as a trailing vine.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Ruby » Apr 24, 2008 12:47 pm

How far do you want the vines to trail? THere is a lovely trailing snapdragon out there and they can sometimes come back as a biennial, but the only trail about a foot or so. Also, wave petunias can trail up to 3 feet given the right amount of soil, food and water. I would stay away from ivy though as it will attach itself with its aerial roots. I will look back in my garden journal, as I cant remember all the vines I have grown in my container on top of my post and beam deck.....stay tuned!
Ruby

Postby Ruby » Apr 24, 2008 12:49 pm

Another one just came to mind....trailing geraniums. They LOVE sun and they can withstand a certain amount of drying out......
Ruby

Postby Ruby » Apr 24, 2008 12:54 pm

okay........you really got me going on this! Bacopa is a beautiful white trailing plant, that lasts all summer well into the fall, again as long as you give it ample food and water. Diasca is beautiful too and comes in a wide array of colors. Swan River daisy is also quite lovely as is Verbena, which comes in many colors as well......

Gee..........I REALLY WANT TO GO TO THE NURSERY NOW!!!! But its still too cold here in Maple Ridge. Where abouts are you? I used to live in Victoria, and was born and raised on Saltspring Island, so I know the gardening times quite well.
Ruby

Postby Venice » Apr 24, 2008 7:14 pm

I'd vote for Sweet Potato Vine. There's some real nice selection of colors, and they're great to mix, although the lime green really pops!!!

Ven
Venice

Postby rick12 » Apr 24, 2008 8:01 pm

thanks for the suggestions keep them coming!! i live in Victoria, and it's cold :cry:
i want the vines to hang-down about 15 feet--yea it's a lot but i think it's great to mix and get a variety of colors. and lengths.

soon as the sun comes out.
funny i never thouht of annuals--good ideas everyone
rick12

Postby DavidP » Apr 25, 2008 4:00 am

I would also recommend Sweet Potato Vine and don't forget to post some pictures when everything looks properly. :)
The greatest treasures are those invisible to the eye but found by the heart.
DavidP

Next

Return to Plant Talk