Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Greenhouse Construction Progress

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby murphy » Apr 24, 2008 9:58 pm

starting to look good there packrat....just think this time next year it will be full of little seedlings...something to look forward to :lol:
murphy

Postby Paul zone5 » Apr 24, 2008 11:27 pm

The greenhouse should be very useful. Do you know the life expectancy of the poly?

Will you add some vents in the gable ends for when the sun heats everything too much?

The reason that I had mentioned the dirt floor before was that there usually is a lot of water spilled in a greenhouse.

Hey speaking of water and excess heat, have you thought of having some thermal energy storage? A couple of tubs or barrels of water might be useful.
Just north of Toronto
Paul zone5

Postby packrat79 » Apr 25, 2008 10:19 am

The poly manufacturer claims it's good for about 8 years, depending upon things like proper installation, greenhouse temperature, etc.
As for ventilation, I'm going to install two windows, one about 5' high at the North end and the other on the floor of the opposite end. The north window will have a large box fan in front of it to force the air through, I'm sure the CFM (cubit feet/minute) capacity of that fan is more than adequate for a greenhouse this size. Other, fancier ideas like having the windows open once a certain temperature is reached, are still in the planning stages.
Thermal energy storage is something I haven't really thought about yet, but I may look into that later. I thought of putting some bricks along the floor and painting them black, but I can't afford that right now.
And as for spilled water, I'll be coating the floor with Thompsons water seal, so that should take care of that problem.
packrat79

Postby MonaCda Zone 3B Manitoba » Apr 26, 2008 9:34 pm

For having no carpentry skills, your doing a super job! Looks like you'll have a wonderful place to garden when the rest of us are just looking out the window hoping. Will certainly be looking forward to more pics. Great job!! Mona
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'.
MonaCda Zone 3B Manitoba

Previous

Return to Plant Talk