Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Soil remains wet in the pots

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Soil remains wet in the pots

Postby lielle » Feb 15, 2008 12:32 pm

I have quite a few house plants and have noticed that some of them die as the soil remains too wet. Am I doing something wrong. Even my African violets never seem to flower even though I only water them a bit when the soil is absolutely dry.
lielle

Postby B_BQ » Feb 15, 2008 12:43 pm

Hi:
My first thought is: Are the holes in the bottom of the pot plugged. It sounds as though the excess water is not draining away.
BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby seacat » Feb 15, 2008 3:35 pm

Lielle,

What sort of soil do you have the houseplants in? Are they getting enough light so that the soil will dry out? Could you be overwatering, especiallyl now in the winter when many houseplants go dormant?

Re African Violets. I trust that you are watering them from below? Not onto the soil of the plant. And mine didn't flower either until it dawned on me to feed them and then they flowered beautifully. So pick up a fertilizer and add that to the water.

Seacat
Women hold up half the sky.
seacat

Postby Lizcordysmum » Mar 29, 2008 2:17 pm

Someone here told me last year when my seedling pots were too wet (I'd overwatered) to put them on newspaper and let that wick the excess water out. This will also work for houseplants.

Good luck!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Eeyore » Mar 29, 2008 6:35 pm

Many planting soils for house plants are poor quality. I always add vermiculite or Perilite to mine. The volume of perilite should be between 10 -20%.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby kso » Apr 07, 2008 8:27 pm

Eeyore wrote:Many planting soils for house plants are poor quality. I always add vermiculite or Perilite to mine. The volume of perilite should be between 10 -20%.

I've got to admit, I've never put that much perlite in my potting soil. I find vermiculite works equally well for me, but that's just my own finding
kso

Postby Dolly » Apr 19, 2008 10:36 pm

I also have that problem with my African Violets. I do water from beneath.

I am now trying to keep a Gardenia alive and blooming. There have been 2 buds and they have fallen off. I have it in a window facing south......not a lot of sun but some in the morning.

Is there something I should be doing?
Dolly

Postby isabelbrinck » Apr 21, 2008 8:21 pm

I'd love to hear how Lielle is doing finally! :)

My dracaenas seem to concentrate their moisture longer than any of my other plants. I am careful to feel the soil before I water them, and then only just enough to moisten it again (fear of root rot and fungus knats!). I know that's not the solution to Lielle's problem (seems to alread be doing that) but I'm also interested in hearing if suggested experiments have worked out.[/quote]
Isabel
Montreal, QC
Hardiness Zone 5a
isabelbrinck

Postby joan w » Apr 25, 2008 12:09 pm

Sounds like the soil needs to be lighteded up with sand or perlite, or both.
When potting I put a coffee filter in the bottom and it works well.
BTW, I water my African Violets from the top and no problems. I use a small water can with a small spout and let the water trickle in slowly.
Image Image
joan w

Return to Container Gardening