Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Yucca Plant

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Yucca Plant

Postby gardengirl » Apr 25, 2008 8:09 pm

Hi,

I have a Yucca plant that is in the foundation planting in my front garden. It is 5 years old and this year looks worse for the winter. I am wondering how to prune out the yellow and brown leaves. Do I start from the bottom near the ground and cut them out? What about the middle leaves?
gardengirl

Re: Yucca Plant

Postby Big Smile » Apr 25, 2008 10:08 pm

gardengirl wrote:Hi,

I have a Yucca plant that is in the foundation planting in my front garden. It is 5 years old and this year looks worse for the winter. I am wondering how to prune out the yellow and brown leaves. Do I start from the bottom near the ground and cut them out? What about the middle leaves?

I don't prune my Yucca until the new growth starts then I cut the old leaves to the ground.

Clara
Big Smile

Postby Durgan » Apr 26, 2008 5:57 am

I inherited a yucca plant. My treatment is leave the ugly thing alone, and periodically it will produce an insipid spike bloom. I see nothing attractive about this plant. Since mine is way at the back of the yard, and interferes with nothing, I simply ignore it.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby Puff10 » Apr 26, 2008 7:47 am

Yuccas might be more responsive if they're in a sunny hot raised bed!As far as pruning goes do wait for some leaves to go brown then trim those first.
Attachments
business 128.jpg
Puff10

Re: Yucca Plant

Postby A Closet Canuck » Apr 26, 2008 10:09 am

gardengirl wrote:......I am wondering how to prune out the yellow and brown leaves. Do I start from the bottom near the ground and cut them out? What about the middle leaves?

I clean mine up in late fall or early spring by tugging very gently at each yellow or brown leaf. The yellow ones often don't come off and can be pruned back by half; the brown ones come off readily. It is very EASY to accidentally remove the plant material that forms next year's flower spikes and that is why I gently tug each leaf rather than do wholesale tugging and cutting. This method has worked wonderfully well for me.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Return to Plant Talk