Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Annuals behaving like perrenials

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Annuals behaving like perrenials

Postby kelly_m » Apr 26, 2008 10:54 am

Due to the high snowfall and not quite so cold temps, I have a few annuals that have decided to act like perrennials!!

I have 2 Carex (grass) that have come back, a couple of calendula and one I am not sure of the name, but I planted from seed last year and lost the package!!LOL

Snapdragons too!

Ain't nature grand!! :lol:
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby butterfly » Apr 26, 2008 10:57 am

Calendulas self seed and I 've had snap dragons self seed a couple of years too

But it is not a common thing for snap draons to do

I've had wave petunias and regual patunias self seed not not every year

Woouldn't it be nice if they all self seeded each year

it woudl sure save the $$ and work

Duatras will also. The seed can live for years in the soil
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Lindamct » Apr 26, 2008 11:00 am

Got my gardens turned over yesterday, and to my surprise saw several Calendulas sprouting again this year. I just love their cheery orange color against my blue carpathian bell flowers. :)
Lindamct

Postby Eeyore » Apr 26, 2008 11:28 am

Wow! That's great Kelly. I have a few pansies doing that, but that isn't all that unusual.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby kelly_m » Apr 26, 2008 12:34 pm

BF...I have little seedlings of Calendula from last year's plants as well, but what really got me were the new leaves on last years wood!!! same as the Snapdragon.

Linda...ya..Calendula brings some nice bright long lasting colour to the garden!

Lyn..I have a bucket of pansies I bought last spring...there is still some green in there....
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby Catherine » Apr 26, 2008 6:00 pm

Well pooooo. I hauled up last year's snapdragons a couple of weeks ago and said to myself - self - these aren't dead don't be hauling them up. I have a feeling now that they might well have hung in and done something. They were from the previous year's self seed and never had time to bloom since I kind of dug over where they were to put something else in their spot and it took the seeds a while to resurface. I won't be so hasty next year.
cath
If two loaves of bread are all you have left, you ahould sell one and buy hyacinths to feed your soul.........Arabic proverb
Catherine

Postby Big Smile » Apr 26, 2008 8:09 pm

Catherine wrote:Well pooooo. I hauled up last year's snapdragons a couple of weeks ago and said to myself - self - these aren't dead don't be hauling them up. I have a feeling now that they might well have hung in and done something. They were from the previous year's self seed and never had time to bloom since I kind of dug over where they were to put something else in their spot and it took the seeds a while to resurface. I won't be so hasty next year.
cath

Too bad you hauled out those Snapdragons. I don't pull out my Snaps in fall the plant will come back. When growth begins to show in spring I cut off the dead stalk. I have been doing this for a several years.

Clara
Big Smile

Postby kelly_m » Apr 26, 2008 9:37 pm

Ya....Snapdragons are one of those that is borderline for my area...sometimes they are annula, sometimes they are perrennial!! I'm glad to see them back though...they were a gorgeous colour.

K
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby Sheikea » Apr 28, 2008 9:23 pm

What about veronica's I have those comin g back around my ponds?I did not think they would come back.?
Sheikea

Postby kelly_m » Apr 28, 2008 10:06 pm

Most Veronicas are perrennial....

I found another surprise....Last year I had cleared out one of my Shamrocks (Oxalis) and planted the extra corms in the garden...well, on my morning garden walk, I noticed way in the corner, three little shamrock leaves!!!

Oxalis is most definitely not perrenial in my zone!!!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Next

Return to Plant Talk