Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

fairy ring in future flower garden?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

fairy ring in future flower garden?

Postby richard » Apr 26, 2008 1:12 pm

I have a piece of lawn that I want to convert to a rock and flower garden. A small section (about 5 ft by 5 ft) of the lawn has been troubled for years (decades?) by fairy ring, which I have been able to control, but never get rid of. My question: does anyone know what problems I'm likely to encounter if I put flowering plants in this space? I'll certainly amend the soil, but don't intend to eliminate all the fungus-ridden soil harbouring the fairy ring spores/fungus/whatever. Does the fairy-ring only impact sod? Or will I find it extremely difficult to grow flowers here?
Anyone have experience they'd like to share? Thanks Richard
richard

Postby Ian » Apr 27, 2008 7:57 am

I have a number of Fairy rings on my lawn that are on the edges of some of my flower gardens (and enter some of them). I have never seem any fruiting bodies in my flower garden and have never noticed any adverse effects. I'd say you will not have a problem, since the fungus does not attack the flowers etc.

Ian
Ian

Postby Kristina » Apr 27, 2008 8:19 pm

I think the centre of the fairy ring is where the fungus died, and the soil is really good, so more grass grows back in the centre.
Kristina

Return to Plant Talk