Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Dahlias & care

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Dahlias & care

Postby DMG » Apr 25, 2008 12:26 pm

I have been given some large tubers of dahlias. The lady who gave them to me said put them into a pail of water into a cool place for about 1 week and then divide the tubers (eyes) for planting. Is this wise to put them into the water? I thought they might rot. I thought peat moss might be better. Anybody out there with help? I am happy to be given them! DMG
Gardening in Zone 5
DMG

Re: Dahlias & care

Postby Big Smile » Apr 25, 2008 12:47 pm

DMG wrote:I have been given some large tubers of dahlias. The lady who gave them to me said put them into a pail of water into a cool place for about 1 week and then divide the tubers (eyes) for planting. Is this wise to put them into the water? I thought they might rot. I thought peat moss might be better. Anybody out there with help? I am happy to be given them! DMG

I have never put my Dahlia tubers in water but if you do don't leave them in very long.
I am always able to divide my tubers,,,it does take a bit of tugging and twisting but it can be done.

I take my Dahlia tubers out of the cold room in mid-March and put beside the furnace . They need warmth to begin to sprout. I wouldn't keep them in a cool place anymore , you want to plant them in the next couple weeks.

Clara
Big Smile

Postby Hushypuppy » Apr 25, 2008 10:01 pm

plant these babies up asap. Then pu the pot in a warm sunny place and water moderately. In about a week and a half you should see some growth. I stared mine a month ago and they are now 3 feet tall. In another 3 weeks they are going outside. By then they will be bushy and beautiful...I love dalias...
I would not do the water thing and I think you are little late with the peatmoss, just plant them babies up...
ciao
Kris
A Basset Is An Asset!
Hushypuppy

Thanks

Postby DMG » Apr 26, 2008 10:33 am

Thank you Hushypuppy and Big Smile. I have put them in some moist soil for a couple days (no cold rm) and then will plant them in the garden spot for them. Do they really twist apart?? Some are separate but there is one whihc is a huge entwined clump! The lady told my husband to cut them apart making sure there is at least one eye on a tuber. Hmmm.

He also got some other kind of tuber (purplish skin on the outside) very thick too, but much different looking from the Dahlia tubers. Tall plants he says. Uh huh. I dont think they are Iris, maybe daylilies....Free is nice however. I'm not complaining. :) DMG
Gardening in Zone 5
DMG

Postby Hushypuppy » Apr 26, 2008 10:44 am

you can seperate them...but you may not want to the first year. Iwould just pot them as is and put them in a warm place at least for the first year. In the fall you can split them up. You will probably have more tubers too...I like to exchange some with other people on the block so we can have different varities with no cost...free is great!
Do not put em outside until you are sure all frost has passed.

Here is one of my babies last fall!

Best of luck....
A Basset Is An Asset!
Hushypuppy

Postby butterfly » Apr 26, 2008 10:52 am

When I first had my 1st dahlias years ago given to me. The person told me to soak them in water for a few day too

Of course I did, not knowing anything about them

5-6 days later, the water was slime and tubers were mush

I never did it again. She still does and I don't know why hers doesn't rot. Mine did

Hers doesn't look great after being soaked but she still plants them and they did ok

Not something I would do again tho

I pot them up early in May to put out in June when free of frost.
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Re: Thanks

Postby Big Smile » Apr 26, 2008 11:08 am

[
He also got some other kind of tuber (purplish skin on the outside) very thick too, but much different looking from the Dahlia tubers. Tall plants he says. Uh huh. I dont think they are Iris, maybe daylilies....Free is nice however. I'm not complaining. :) DMG[/quote]

The purplish tuber could be a Canna tuber. You can pot it up right away to give it a head start or plant outside when the ground warms up.
Cannas grow tall with a red flower . There are other varieties but he probably gave you a common one for free. They multiply and I have lots for our Hort. Plant Sale.

Clara
Big Smile

Thanks

Postby DMG » Apr 26, 2008 12:18 pm

Thanks Clara. Yes the other ones which tend to look like fat sausages with purplish and white skins might be Cannas. Without a doubt it wil be a surprise when they come up! Thanks for the tips all. DMG
Gardening in Zone 5
DMG

Postby joan w » Apr 26, 2008 2:12 pm

Clara said:

you want to plant them in the next couple weeks.

Do you mean to plant them in pots and not outdoors?

I've tried starting them in pots with not much luck.
Maybe your idea of getting them to sprout first is
what I should be borrowing.

What say you, Clara?
Image Image
joan w

Postby Big Smile » Apr 26, 2008 2:55 pm

joan w wrote:Clara said:

you want to plant them in the next couple weeks.

Do you mean to plant them in pots and not outdoors?

I've tried starting them in pots with not much luck.
Maybe your idea of getting them to sprout first is
what I should be borrowing.

What say you, Clara?

Joan , I had to check my post to see what I meant but yes , in a couple weeks you can plant Dahlias in the ground, OR you can pot them up now to get them started. I have good luck wiht starting Dahlias in pots.

Clara
Big Smile

Next

Return to Plant Talk