Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

russian sage question

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

russian sage question

Postby bridgit On 5b » Apr 20, 2008 11:41 am

Hello all!
Last fall I bought two russian sage plants and planted them in my garden. I didn't protect them over the winter. Now the one plants branches are all busted from the large amounts of snow we had. The other is fine but I am pretty sure all the branches are dead, they snap easily. I have hunted the net but they don't give a lot of info. They say cut no less than 6" from the bottom in spring thats about it. Is the one that is broken right to the ground a lost cause? Should I trim the other one? I probably should have protected them over the winter. Thanks in advance.
bridgit On 5b

Postby B_BQ » Apr 20, 2008 12:09 pm

I'm in the same boat as you.
I was out inspecting them this morning and there is new growth coming from the ground. I'm going to trim off the few remaining twigs and hope for the best! I think they're going to be fine.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Lindamct » Apr 20, 2008 12:28 pm

I purchased 10 of these for around my patio, reduced last Fall. My Green Thumb Expert told me not to cut them back until Spring, to 8-12". I just did so yesterday. :) Hope this helps!
Lindamct

Postby patty » Apr 20, 2008 12:51 pm

Bridget I'm in the same zone as you, and never protect my russian sage. I have had it for several years and cut them right back, without any problems. I'm sure your plant will be ok. Hope this helps.
patty

Postby MonaCda Zone 3B Manitoba » Apr 27, 2008 2:30 am

Have to agree with Patty, I've never covered mine or anything. I cut them down in the Fall and they grow lovely every year. Ten would be alot WOW. Mona
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'.
MonaCda Zone 3B Manitoba

Postby kelly_m » Apr 27, 2008 8:01 am

Bridget...wait a little longer to see if there is new growth on the one broken right to the ground. There is always some winter kill on Sage but invariably comes right back after some nice warm weather!

My Aunt gave me some advice many years ago on perrennials....do not be to eager to pull out what looks dead. Give it 2 years. if it still does nothing, then get rid of it!

The sage you'll know for sure soon, but basically the moral of my aunt's advice was patience....

K
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Lindamct » Apr 27, 2008 10:31 am

Mona my deck is 10' by 12'. I know 10 sounds like a lot. I wanted something that would fill in around the whole perimeter, that wasn't too bold a color. My bed around the deck is 4' deep. I saw one growing locally and at that moment decided Russian Sage was the one. I will be filling in with dwarf blue and white ageratums, with planters of white Daturas in each corner. I love blues and purples. :)
Lindamct

Return to Plant Talk