Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

sick Japanese Maple

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

sick Japanese Maple

Postby Sue » Apr 27, 2008 7:49 pm

I planted a Bloodgood Japanese Maple 6 years ago and it did really well until late last summer when I noticed the leaves died on a couple of the branches...now, the leaves are just starting to bud and it looks like even more of the branches will not have leaves. It's about 8 feet tall now. It gets full sun but little wind and the first 2 or 3 winters we protected with burlap. Any input is appreciated!
Sue

Postby Eeyore » Apr 28, 2008 12:25 am

What zone are you in Sue? I don't know much about Japanese Maple but my first guess would be wind damage or sun scauld and my second either over or underwatering. What does the damage look like?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Sue » Apr 29, 2008 8:09 am

I'm in zone 5B...attached are some pictures. It might be hard to see the problem b/c the leaves aren't fully out, but you can see the change in the bark on the "dead" branches. They seem to go back to one main branch from the trunk so I'm thinking I need to cut it off?
Attachments
100_5270(rev 1).jpg
100_5269(rev 0).jpg
Sue

Postby Sue » Apr 29, 2008 7:10 pm

Thanks, I will try that!
Sue

Return to Plant Talk