Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

I need to know right now...

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Re: I need to know right now...

Postby butterfly » Apr 04, 2008 9:41 am

Liz Cordysmum wrote:is this part of the forum ONLY for folks who have got absolutely delightfull cute containers or does it apply to those of us who must plant in white plastic pails...5 gallon/20 litre size?

I do cutsie poo too, but I need to talk with some real container-planting folks who grow foodstuffs/toms?cukes/peppers in pails and I could use useful helps/tips, please and thank you.

Much appreciated.

Liz

When I wAS laid up so long I planted my toms, cukes and yellow beans on pails on the deck

They did very well

I am sure yours will do just fine
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Venice » Apr 04, 2008 2:42 pm

I always do my eatables in containers. The tomatoes are in huge black pots that the tree's came in, keeps the soil nice and warm. I mix about 1/3-1/2 manure in with the soil. Tom's love their poo.

I do this for a few reasons, easier to maintain & weed, and I don't have to worry about puppy stealing my veggies or peeing on them hahahha.

Ven
Venice

Postby joan w » Apr 27, 2008 7:27 am

You have to roll them Liz. :wink:

I'm too am contemplating tomatoes in a pig pot. Maybe put some onions and lettuce in with it. They would act as a mulch and cut down on the watering. Right?
Image Image
joan w

Postby Lizcordysmum » Apr 28, 2008 3:53 pm

Joan, and all, I begin to wonder if I will ever get to the pot-planting...has been so cold here and outdoor planting (even sticking the houseplants outside) is still not possible.

I know I am pushing my season here, all of the tulips have yet to bloom.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby joan w » Apr 28, 2008 6:51 pm

We've had lovely weather here Liz, but today was back to a jacket.

Had some rain but didn't really add up to much.

I know what you mean by pushing the season. I'm chomping on the bit
to get some wee plants in. It's not even May yet.
Image Image
joan w

Postby B_BQ » Apr 28, 2008 7:02 pm

I've planted my first potatoes in a very large black pot! So there!

These were potatoes I bought from the grocery store, you know, the packages with three kinds of tiny potatoes - purple, red and yellow. I saved six of the purple and after letting them dry out a bit have planted them, just as an experiment. It will be interesting to see a) whether they grow, and b) whether they grow true. (I had a large spare pot this year, after giving in to the temptation to buy a Magnolia!!! That was planted at the weekend, hence the spare pot!).

I will grow lettuce again in a pot. It did really well last year. Not a slug in sight.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Sheikea » Apr 29, 2008 9:34 am

I always plant my tomatoes in pots on the dec.So now I am gonna do peas and carrots..Well at least try to..LOL :D
Sheikea

Postby Almond » Apr 29, 2008 8:07 pm

I put all my plants in pots too :D Ive got roses, some I dont remember the names of and Im too lazy to look, and Ive got beans in a window box, and even pumpkins (cant wait to see how theyll do, this is my first year doing pumpkins). I also planted some corn and turnips in pots just the other day... I havent had much luck with the seeds sprouting though. Im also going to do carrots...
Almond

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 03, 2008 12:20 pm

The other day I got to thinking about just how deep "dirt" has to be, for the benefit of what we are planting in pots. I know annuals do fine in about 6 inches (about 15 cm) of soil.

I know tomatoes like a nice deep soil. so do perennials (yet I grow one clemmie in an 8" pot, for YEARS, without new soil...and she blooms just fine.) For me, potted roses get various diseases and DIE.

So. what about cucumbers, pumpkins?

I have my variety of lettuces planted in a big DEEP pot and it is ridiculous...but try to find a big LOW pot...guess I could cut down the sides, couldn't I? I've seen lovely ceramic long low planters, but the prices are in the $100-$200 range...and come on, for lettuce???!!

I hope someone has some answers...it would be handy to know...how deep must soil be, for various veggies, please.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Sheikea » May 03, 2008 11:00 pm

Why could you not grow lettuce in a pation one you know the one that are oval or regtangle.Come in brown,white or green..Those woudl work wouldn't they.?
Sheikea

PreviousNext

Return to Container Gardening