Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Sweet Peas

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Sweet Peas

Postby Hushypuppy » Apr 28, 2008 9:43 pm

So yesterday when it was nice and warm and sunny and spring like I soaked some sweet peas for planting this evening. At 6 pm this evening I was wearing my winter coat with my hood up, in my winter boots, in the driving rain planting sweet peas while slowly sinking in the sheep doo I had lovingly mixed into my garden yesterday. By balancing my weight on the bamboo teepee I had fortunately already erected as a guide for the peas, I narrowly escapped slipping down the slope between my garden and the six foot retaining wall between myself and my neighbour at the back.
The lady next door was watching me from her kitchen window. I am sure the whole sceen was highly entertaining.
My question: What do you think my odds are that these will grow? The package said plant as soon as the ground is workable...but does that mean now, even if we have frost?
Looking forwar to all your responses...I have never grown these before....
A Basset Is An Asset!
Hushypuppy

Postby dlb » Apr 28, 2008 10:34 pm

Sweet peas can go in early. I'm in zone 3 and planted mine a couple of weeks ago. Then we had that big dump of snow and freezing weather for a week. I was poking around in the planter the other day and found some of the seeds - they look ready to pop.

Dora
dlb

Postby Meggylou » Apr 28, 2008 10:56 pm

this is good to know. I'll plant mine later this week then once I can convince my brother to use his muscles and turn my soil and cut my new beds muwahahahha :twisted:
Meggylou

Postby Sheikea » Apr 29, 2008 9:53 am

LMAO I bet that was a sight to see and I thought I was the only nutsyone that goes out in terrible weather to do planting or saving of the plants as my son says.I am sure they will be fine also I just thought to start mine indoors as I still have a ton of snow on the ground where i would like to put them.Hug hugs and flower kisses :D
Sheikea

Comedy in the Garden

Postby DMG » Apr 30, 2008 5:06 pm

Hushypuppy you should charge for that kind of entertainment! Your neighbor was likley enjoying all that from her window seat and sipping her coffee or something better...What we are all hoping for is that your hard efforts reap a beutiful display of sweet peas this summer. And then who will be the one laughing?! DMG
Gardening in Zone 5
DMG

Postby deezee » Apr 30, 2008 5:22 pm

I had read you were supposed to nick the hard coating - this always seemed hard to do. this time I used nail clippers and they worked well to nick the outer shell
deezee

sweet peas in balcony containers....

Postby evepet » Apr 30, 2008 6:39 pm

I've had sweet peas growing from seeds for a couple of weeks now. I've got them transplanted into peat pots, ready for final planting into my balcony containers. They are in my portable mini-greenhouse until I can safely transplant outside into the balcony containers. I'm reading here that it's ok to sow sweet peas into the ground now... would this be too early to transplant my actual growing plants into my outside containers? I'd obviously wait until we get through this current cold spell - but maybe transplant once the forecasts get more 'seasonal' again?? ie - next week!!! My sweet pea plants look quite healthy - They're about 3 - 4" high and quite nice and bushy. I know I need to gradually 'climatize' them to the outside to 'harden them off'... but I'm uncertain whether I need to wait for the 'May 24 timeframe' for the 'final transplant'?? Any advice is appreciated. :)
evepet

Postby Hushypuppy » May 01, 2008 7:59 am

Hi everyone... I checked this morning as it is the first morning with no rain since the planting. All seems to be fine. Teepee is still there, seeds seem to be still in the ground. So now we wait.
I have also started some inside so if things don't pan out I have a back up plan. I will let you guys know how it all works out.
Ciao

Kris
A Basset Is An Asset!
Hushypuppy

Postby Stonetown Gardner » May 01, 2008 8:37 am

I put sweet peas that I had started from seed in to my outside containers a couple of weeks ago... so far so good! They're still going strong, despite below freezing temps at night the past couple of days.
Stonetown Gardner

Return to Plant Talk