Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Which 3 combinations of vines / flower colours/blooming?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Which 3 combinations of vines / flower colours/blooming?

Postby countrychic » Apr 25, 2008 1:35 pm

I had a designer lady from Sheridan come around to view my garden. And for the back part/full shade wooden fence, she suggested I plant a combo of 3 vines.
Silver Lace vine, a Clematis and a Honeysuckle. Love the idea, but I would like some suggestions on which clematis and honeysuckle variety I should try, keeping in mind the silver lace vine.

Honeysuckle: Do I choose Harlequin Honeysuckle with its variegated leaves and heavy scent (selling point), or go more bold like Dropmore Scarlet or Mandarin?

Clematis: Tons to choose from. Narrowed down by the ones that open up fully, not dangle downwards. Go white? or choose a colour like Nelly Moser, or Sugar Candy or even red, pink, blue...? Would like hardy, fast growing and blooms all summer.

Thank you for any suggestions or tips
regards Overwhelmed! lol
countrychic

Postby Sharon Bryson » Apr 25, 2008 1:52 pm

My only comment might be to make sure the SIlver Lace Vine is in its own domain....they get very large, and would perhaps overwhelm a clematis or a newly planted honeysuckle.
They grow so much in a single season, compared to many other vines.
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Postby haili » Apr 25, 2008 4:06 pm

In my experience, no clematis has bloomed all summer. Jackmanii can bloom about 6 weeks if you're lucky and the weather's not too hot. In this area, you might get 3 or 4 weeks.
haili

Postby B_BQ » Apr 25, 2008 7:03 pm

My 2 cents!

Silver Lace Vine, if it's planted in the right place,will pretty well overtake and overwhelm anything else in its' path!

Clematis, No one clematis is going to provide you with colour all summer long. You need to plant at least 2, preferably 3, and choose one that flowers fairly early, one that flowers in mid season, and one that flowers late on. Sweet Autumn Clematis is a Fall-flowering Clematis, and is very pretty, but it could easily be confused with the Silver Lace Vine, so there wouldn't be much point.

Honeysuckle, the Harlequin Honeysuckle is pretty, with pale pink smallish flowers. (Mine doesn't seem very robust!). The other varieties seem to be much stronger, and the colour of the bloom is much more vibrant.

Choice is such an individual matter, but if you're going with an orange-yellow-red Honeysuckle, then I'm not sure that a purple or lilac coloured Clematis would be the best choice.

On one of my walls at the back of the house I have 4 Clematis, in varying shades of lilac, purple and blue. With them I have planted a yellow climbing rose. At ground level I have carpet roses, which are a deep pink.

Happy planting and Good Luck!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Linda B » Apr 28, 2008 12:46 pm

Re. Silver Lace Vine.
I agree with the other comments. It grows very quickly, and can take over, and if not tied to a trellis or fence it reaches out (looking messy and not good if a pathway is nearby.
Linda B

Postby countrychic » Apr 29, 2008 12:34 pm

The fenced wall I'm planting these is a very long stretch of fence. About 18m long. The 3 vines will be spaced along this, one on the left, the other in the center and the last at the far right.

Please note the entire bed is now three times wider as of the past weekend (have the sore arms to prove it, lol)

So I was thinking Silver Lace in the centre, the honeysuckle on the far right and the clematis on the left where it can get more sun. What do you think?
countrychic

Postby murphy » Apr 29, 2008 7:00 pm

the silver lace vine can easily grow thirty feet in a season if it is happy...and let me tell you it puts down roots...there will be no digging it up once it takes a firm grip. When I moved from Brampton to Barrie..the silver lace was the ONLY plant I left behind. I was going to dig it up to spare the neighbours lilac that it ate every hear...but gosh darn that think didn't have a root system....it had an underground trunk.

I would want to know how many hours of sun this fence gets. You mention part to FULL shade. Make sure the Clematis gets the most of the sun...then the honeysuckle and then I would put the silver lace in the most challenging spot. I would suggest a climbing hydrangea or even an Autumn blooming clematis( this vine can grow about 100 feet a season and is literally covered in white blooms from August to frost...it is however really easy to pull down...does not choke out the plants it scrambles up and is cut to the ground every spring...it is a quite delicate vine....unlike some that get very woody and difficult to control.
murphy

Postby patty » Apr 29, 2008 7:17 pm

You have received some good advise here, and I think your fence will look very nice with the three vines you were suggested.

From my own experience, I'd like to suggest the Goldflame or Halls honesysuckle. I find Harlequin very slow growing, and my dropmore is bad for mildew and blackspot. The Goldflame blooms much longer then Halls with blooms still remaining after a first snowfall.

Nelly moser clematis is a large flowered clematis that is often recommended for use on the north side of a building, so would be a good choice for both the shadiest or sunny part of your fence.

Your fence is going to look beautiful! Good luck!
patty

Postby murphy » Apr 29, 2008 7:43 pm

patty wrote:You have received some good advise here, and I think your fence will look very nice with the three vines you were suggested.

From my own experience, I'd like to suggest the Goldflame or Halls honesysuckle. I find Harlequin very slow growing, and my dropmore is bad for mildew and blackspot. The Goldflame blooms much longer then Halls with blooms still remaining after a first snowfall.

Nelly moser clematis is a large flowered clematis that is often recommended for use on the north side of a building, so would be a good choice for both the shadiest or sunny part of your fence.

Your fence is going to look beautiful! Good luck!

good choices there Patty....I love both the Halls and the Nellie...both lovely vines :lol:
murphy

Postby Scrapinthehat » Apr 29, 2008 8:32 pm

I have a clematis that blooms from June to October. My understanding is that most viticella varieties (pruning type 3) have an extended bloom time. I prefer this type as there is no question as to how to prune it...just right down to the ground every spring before new growth starts. Also, even though the flowers are smaller than the typical clematis, they are much more profuse. Just my 2c. Good luck.
Scrapinthehat

Next

Return to Plant Talk