Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Don't you hate it when....

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Don't you hate it when....

Postby Scrapinthehat » Apr 29, 2008 8:49 pm

Don't you hate it when trying to be smart about where to plant...you know....so as to give everything enough space, but the plants in question have such a huge size range for growth that there is no way of really knowing what to do.

I find this very frustrating. I understand that you will get different results based on zones and even micro-climates, but geez. I just bought a "Clown" Hibiscus and the label reads 3'-4', but various sites online say 3'-7'...yikes...quite the range when on a city lot.

Anyone else in zone 4 successfully grow a Hibiscus? How about any "Clown" growers out there? Honestly...sometimes a feel like a clown impersonating a gardener :? . Any help here greatly appreciated.
Scrapinthehat

Postby Pansy » Apr 29, 2008 10:11 pm

I'm not a z4...I'm a 5b,but I put a double sized rose coller on

my Hibiscus & stuff it with straw for the winter.

Hope this helps.
Pansy
Zone 5 B
Pansy

Postby Eeyore » Apr 30, 2008 2:11 am

Look at the zone range for your hibiscus. If it says zones 3-7, assume it will be it's largest in zone 7 and at it's smallest size in zone 3.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby A Closet Canuck » Apr 30, 2008 8:44 am

Lyn makes a good point. I find better information about ultimate size by googling non-profit and university sites than reading plant labels. Nurseries, IMHO, tend to be a bit optimistic or dishonest, depending on one's perspective.

One can get these results by limiting one's search to .edu and .org. For hibiscus the google search would like like this:

Hisbiscus Diana site:edu

Hisbiscus Diana site:org

Often, these sites will describe the limitations on size and growth that occurs in various settings.

Hope this helps.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby Eeyore » Apr 30, 2008 11:35 am

Great information Trish! Thanks!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Scrapinthehat » Apr 30, 2008 12:58 pm

Thanks Lyn and Trish...both really great advice. I'll be googling those pretty darn quick.

Edited to add:

Lyn...do you grow Hibiscus?
Scrapinthehat

Postby Eeyore » Apr 30, 2008 2:48 pm

No, I don't. Until now I haven't had room but I may look into it. I think they'd be a bit tender here.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby Scrapinthehat » Apr 30, 2008 4:00 pm

Yeah...I think I may be pushing it here too. If a plant is a reliable/hardy zone 4 I seem to do ok. It's when it is 4...pushing 5...that I have problems no luck. Then again, if I actually protected my plants they would have a better chance of survival. :wink:
Scrapinthehat

Postby patty » Apr 30, 2008 5:43 pm

Unless I'm misunderstanding the OP, I would think the type of soil you have, compared to soil where the plant originates would have more to do with size then zone. JMO.
patty

Postby Scrapinthehat » Apr 30, 2008 5:53 pm

Makes sense Patty. Do you happen to know where the Hibiscus originates?
Scrapinthehat

Next

Return to Plant Talk