Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

OMG...Blue Himalayan Poppy

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

OMG...Blue Himalayan Poppy

Postby Scrapinthehat » Apr 29, 2008 4:11 pm

Several months ago some of us had a discussion about this coveted Blue Poppy. I disclosed how I bought one on impulse not knowing how tricky they are to grow...decided not to protect it or anything for winter and just accept that it will die.

Well... my snow finally melted today so I ventured out to analyze the damage. To my surprize, the poppy is not only alive, but seems to be flourishing...about 2.5" tall right now with 3 fairly large leaves. My peonies (and many others) are showing no signs of life, but this is growing? Maybe I did plant it in the perfect spot afterall. Wow!
Scrapinthehat

Postby Eeyore » Apr 29, 2008 4:48 pm

Whoo Hoo! Way yo go Scrappy!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby joan w » Apr 29, 2008 6:43 pm

Good for you Scrappy. Isn't it a great discovery.
Image Image
joan w

Postby patty » Apr 29, 2008 7:19 pm

This is so exciting!!! Congratulations scrap...way da go! Can't wait to see it in bloom.
patty

Postby Scrapinthehat » Apr 29, 2008 8:14 pm

Thanks ladies. Don't know if I should get too excited yet...it still has to bloom, but at least there is hope. :)
Scrapinthehat

Postby Hushypuppy » Apr 29, 2008 9:27 pm

I am green with envy..or should I say blue. Post some pics when it flowers so I can finally see what the little devils actually look like in the flesh. Congrats!

Kris
A Basset Is An Asset!
Hushypuppy

Postby Sharon Bryson » Apr 30, 2008 8:27 am

Hi Scrap:
Your Himalayan poppy should NOT be allowed to bloom this season. They are monocarpic, and will die if they bloom the first year.
You should feed it exceedingly well with old manure &/or compost to encourage as much growth as possible. You want the crown area to expand, so the plant is strong, and will do "its thing" another year.
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Postby Scrapinthehat » Apr 30, 2008 11:12 am

Sharon...I planted it last year and didn't allow it to bloom....should I make sure it doesn't bloom this year too?

Here is a pic...doesn't look like much...but at least it's green!
Attachments
Copy of Blue Himalayan Poppy 3.jpg
Scrapinthehat

isn't it great!

Postby clarissa » Apr 30, 2008 12:02 pm

Good for you - what a great feeling to see something you have nurtured as best you can and then find that you are successful - I remember when mine bloomed - I was so thrilled I had to go next door and tell my neighbor. We both just stood there, looking at it like it was a huge gem of some kind - which to me it seemed to be. That is what we love about gardening I guess. Jean
clarissa

Postby Sharon Bryson » Apr 30, 2008 1:45 pm

I planted it last year and didn't allow it to bloom....should I make sure it doesn't bloom this year too?

Given the size of the plant, I would just try to get as much growth as possible.
They say the secret to their survival is getting a substantial increase in girth before letting it flower.
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Next

Return to Plant Talk