Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

OMG...Blue Himalayan Poppy

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby Scrapinthehat » Apr 30, 2008 4:12 pm

Very good to know Sharon. Makes complete sense. Naturally, I was hoping for a bloom this year, but I will probably hold off unless that plant grows a lot over the next few weeks. It will be VERY difficult for me to let make sure it doesn't bloom again. Sigh.
Scrapinthehat

Postby murphy » Apr 30, 2008 7:03 pm

I am BLUE with envy...you lucky lady. I would be so tempted to let it bloom incase it didn't return the next year....I am too much an instant gratification person to be able to stand that. Good for you for doing the right thing...next year it will be stunning and I look forward to seeing your pictures.
murphy

Postby patty » Apr 30, 2008 11:32 pm

Did you get a bud at all on the plant last year Scrap? Also, does this plant normally overwinter well in your area, or are you just very lucky to have this one survive? If you answered yes to the last question I don't think I'd be doing any disbudding LOL! Good luck! I am excited for you!
patty

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 01, 2008 12:16 pm

Patty...actually it didn't get a bud last year...and I watched it pretty closely so I could pinch it off...guess I will have to do that for sure this year.

As for its ease of growth in this area...I don't know...the greenhouse says that got a few poppies in as a special request. And I don't know any gardeners in my city. :(
Scrapinthehat

Postby patty » May 01, 2008 1:18 pm

Good luck Scrap. I'm looking forward to all your updates.:)
patty

Previous

Return to Plant Talk