Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

zucchini and other vegs

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

zucchini and other vegs

Postby Meggylou » Apr 29, 2008 11:27 pm

I'm planning on growing zucchini in my garden this summer. Ive seen on the internet people who grow it vertically. Does anyone here do that, how would I go about it? This is my first very own vegetable garden and any tips and techniques I"d really really appreciate.
My tomato seedlings are already put into puts up to their little armpits, I did that sunday night. So I think they'll be ok in the garden with tomato cages around them, but what about staking instead?
I'm also growing beets, carrots, radishes, corn, sugar snap peas, and I think that is it.
So any advice on growing these veggies would be greatly appreciated!
Meggylou

Postby dlb » Apr 30, 2008 12:08 am

Well, being truthful, if I had to live off my own vegetables, I'd probably starve to death.

Anyway, from what I understand of vertical gardening you need a vining zucchini. Zucchini generally grows in a bush form, and there are some who say that the vining type of zucchini isn't really a zucchini at all. I've heard reports of one in the heritage veggies. Wouldn't know. So I think that's going to be your #1 problem - finding a vining zucchini or close substitute.

However, I have grown zucchini in containers - a very large container. They tend to dry out a lot. I like it better than in the ground because it seems to take less space. I would really like to find a dwarf variety, but haven't yet. I found a dwarf cucumber though. Planted the last seeds I had this year. The package is long since gone unfortunately, so I'll have to go on a search again. That dwarf cucumber worked very well in pots though. Not much vining going on there either, but it was so compact one didn't need to grow it vertically. Not really a big producer though. I think I got 5 or six cucumbers off the 2 plants last year, not counting the squirrel lunches.
Dora
dlb

Postby Meggylou » Apr 30, 2008 7:43 am

well I just have regular yellow and green zucchini so I guess I won't be growing it vertically. Not a big deal. It would have been neat though. I haven't tried cucumber, I do have a plot in the backyard so all veggies will be right in the ground and not in containers. So maybe I'll see if I can get a hold of some cucumber. that climbs right?
Meggylou

Postby kelly_m » Apr 30, 2008 9:36 am

Cukes you will be able to make climb...no problem there.

Careful with your zukes though....if you have too many plants you will be looking for a zucchini recipe book before the summer is out!! (Jean Pare has one !! :wink: :roll: ) The are quite prolific in their output.

K
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Meggylou » Apr 30, 2008 1:11 pm

it's a good thing I have lots of friend and family in town here that enjoy zucchinis :)
and I have a GREAT recipe for zucchini loaf, YUM!
Meggylou

Hmm... how much do cuke & bean vines spread???

Postby evepet » Apr 30, 2008 6:51 pm

Kelly wrote:Cukes you will be able to make climb...no problem there.

Careful with your zukes though....if you have too many plants you will be looking for a zucchini recipe book before the summer is out!! (Jean Pare has one !! :wink: :roll: ) The are quite prolific in their output.

K

I'm also going to try growing cukes in a container with a trellis for them to climb up. Also trying green beans and snow peas that way too. My containers are about 20" diameter and about 15" in depth. A lot of what I'm doing this year is experimental for me, as I've never had a container garden before. I want to create a lot of viney foliage up against my balcony railings, and am hoping that growing beans/cukes/snow peas this way will accomplish this and give me some veggies at the same time. I'm also growing sweet pea plants and nasturiums which I'll transplant into rectangular planters and suspend over my balcony railings, in the hope that they hang down over the balony railing. Also sweet potato vines if they'll cooperate. :) I've notice your 'grow op' pictures and you seem to be a 'seasoned gardener'.... can you tell me if I can plant both cukes and beans in 1 container? Or would there definitely be too much growth if I put both in the same 20" diameter planter?
evepet

Postby Meggylou » Apr 30, 2008 11:24 pm

it is Venice with the "grow op" pictures.
I haven't posted any pictures yet.
I'm a novice gardener myself and this is my first time gardening without living at home with my mother's guidance.
Meggylou

Postby Lizcordysmum » Apr 30, 2008 11:39 pm

oh Meggylou, you will make tons of mistakes, just like all of the experienced gardeners do and will do as the climate changes for us all... it's how we learn about what we can/can't...the weather is unreal and most of us are coping as best we can.

I very much look forward to your Zuke recipe...I love zukes!

You are going to have TONS of successes too! You GO, Girlfriend! We are here for support, all the way!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Re: Hmm... how much do cuke & bean vines spread???

Postby kelly_m » May 01, 2008 9:46 am

evepet wrote:I'm also going to try growing cukes in a container with a trellis for them to climb up. Also trying green beans and snow peas that way too. My containers are about 20" diameter and about 15" in depth. A lot of what I'm doing this year is experimental for me, as I've never had a container garden before. I want to create a lot of viney foliage up against my balcony railings, and am hoping that growing beans/cukes/snow peas this way will accomplish this and give me some veggies at the same time. I'm also growing sweet pea plants and nasturiums which I'll transplant into rectangular planters and suspend over my balcony railings, in the hope that they hang down over the balony railing. Also sweet potato vines if they'll cooperate. :) I've notice your 'grow op' pictures and you seem to be a 'seasoned gardener'.... can you tell me if I can plant both cukes and beans in 1 container? Or would there definitely be too much growth if I put both in the same 20" diameter planter?

It was Ven with the grow-op...

I have been doing veggies for, hmmm, many years!!!LOL I think the cukes and beans will do just fine in the one pot together...They are complementary plants, and their roots are not so very deep, so they won't be fighting for space in the pots. May I make a suggestion???

If you have the space on your balcony, throw corn in there too...one plant per pot mind you. Another complement to those 2 plants, and you would save on trellis material! Let the beans grow up it (the cukes might be a bit heavy) and the bonus is you may have a cob or 2 from each plant to enjoy!!! Oh, and added privacy!!

K
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Thanks Kelly....

Postby evepet » May 01, 2008 11:03 am

Thanks for your info. And your suggestion of adding some corn plants sounds like a really good idea. I like the idea of the varied foliage and texture of the corn stalks amongst the other more viney growth. And they'd definitely provide the heighth I'm looking for... I'm wanting to run off and get some corn seed now........ LOL. This gardening stuff is really addictive! Wish my balcony was about twice the size.
Last edited by evepet on May 01, 2008 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
evepet

Next

Return to Plant Talk