Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

I am a tad miffed

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

I am a tad miffed

Postby murphy » May 01, 2008 5:11 pm

I purchased a bunch of what was supposed to be highly scented narcissus bulbs this past fall...about 100 of them....they were supposed to be white...now what I got was plain old yellow miniture daffodils. As cheerful as they are they were not what I bought and paid for....I wanted to have white and I wanted to have the scent. I try to appreciate the little cheerful bulbs that have no clue to my disappointment in them...but I think I am a bit miffed. This is a big greenhouse/garden center in my community...with a good name....I think that they should be a bit more careful how they name those bins. Has anybody else had this happen to them. :shock: :? :x :twisted: :?: :!:
murphy

Postby dlb » May 01, 2008 5:20 pm

What type did you buy? With Pipit, they start out all yellow and gradually the cup portion turns white.
Dora
dlb

Postby Sharon Bryson » May 01, 2008 9:43 pm

Thalia is a very fragrant white, but like Pipit are quite late....all the triandrous ones are.
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Postby murphy » May 01, 2008 9:49 pm

to be honest I can't remember the name of the ones I wanted...I just don't remember names well.....but I do know they were NOT supposed to be mini yellow daffs....they are all up and blooming so I know what I got...no signs of them changing colour.
murphy

Postby Hushypuppy » May 01, 2008 11:20 pm

hah...at least you got some flowers. I planted about 100 narcissus last year. We had a warm automn and they all came up in November. No problem I thought they will die back over the winter and come up in the spring...yeah right. They look like brown starched strings, definately no flowers, and I think the bulbs might be toast too.
So frustrating..these were supposed to be pink narcissus...all I got are dead strings and plain yellow blooms from last years bulbs. Cost me a fortune, and yes I will probably buy more this year because I am a SUCKER... :roll:
If you know the people at the garden center go back and complain. It can't hurt. I bet you are not the only one this happened to. If they value your buisness you might get a freebee or a discount at least...

Good Luck

Kris
A Basset Is An Asset!
Hushypuppy

Postby Eeyore » May 01, 2008 11:38 pm

Mary, go back to the garden center and tell them what has happened. They may offer you a credit towards some bulbs for next fall. It is quite possible that you are not the only one this has happened to.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Plant Talk