Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

I am a tad miffed

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

I am a tad miffed

Postby murphy » May 01, 2008 5:11 pm

I purchased a bunch of what was supposed to be highly scented narcissus bulbs this past fall...about 100 of them....they were supposed to be what I got was plain old yellow miniture daffodils. As cheerful as they are they were not what I bought and paid for....I wanted to have white and I wanted to have the scent. I try to appreciate the little cheerful bulbs that have no clue to my disappointment in them...but I think I am a bit miffed. This is a big greenhouse/garden center in my community...with a good name....I think that they should be a bit more careful how they name those bins. Has anybody else had this happen to them. :shock: :? :x :twisted: :?: :!:

Postby dlb » May 01, 2008 5:20 pm

What type did you buy? With Pipit, they start out all yellow and gradually the cup portion turns white.

Postby Sharon Bryson » May 01, 2008 9:43 pm

Thalia is a very fragrant white, but like Pipit are quite late....all the triandrous ones are.
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence
Sharon Bryson

Postby murphy » May 01, 2008 9:49 pm

to be honest I can't remember the name of the ones I wanted...I just don't remember names well.....but I do know they were NOT supposed to be mini yellow daffs....they are all up and blooming so I know what I signs of them changing colour.

Postby Hushypuppy » May 01, 2008 11:20 pm least you got some flowers. I planted about 100 narcissus last year. We had a warm automn and they all came up in November. No problem I thought they will die back over the winter and come up in the spring...yeah right. They look like brown starched strings, definately no flowers, and I think the bulbs might be toast too.
So frustrating..these were supposed to be pink narcissus...all I got are dead strings and plain yellow blooms from last years bulbs. Cost me a fortune, and yes I will probably buy more this year because I am a SUCKER... :roll:
If you know the people at the garden center go back and complain. It can't hurt. I bet you are not the only one this happened to. If they value your buisness you might get a freebee or a discount at least...

Good Luck

A Basset Is An Asset!

Postby Eeyore » May 01, 2008 11:38 pm

Mary, go back to the garden center and tell them what has happened. They may offer you a credit towards some bulbs for next fall. It is quite possible that you are not the only one this has happened to.
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"

Return to Plant Talk