Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

vines

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

vines

Postby Sheikea » May 01, 2008 9:55 am

Moring ladies and gents.I have two vines out side in the front bed going up some trellises.I have no idea as to what they are I believe them to be virgina creepers vine or the english vine don't remeber what it is called.My question to you is I left them the way they were come fall and now I am wondering should I cut them back will they syard fromt the ground up or are they like honeysuckle and reappear on the vine?I thought I saw buds on the vines but was not sure and the vines are soft and green when i scratch em.Hugs and shares of coffee.. :D
Sheikea

Postby Sheikea » May 01, 2008 12:52 pm

LOL..It gets no flowers at all and from what I rememeber last year it has medium green leaves to lrg.The leaves look sort of like a maple leaf but with more points on it. :)
Sheikea

Postby patty » May 01, 2008 1:17 pm

If your vine is virginia creeper, leaves will develop on stems of last years growth like honeysuckle.
patty

Postby butterfly » May 01, 2008 1:22 pm

Daisy wrote:Virgina creeper and English Ivy do not have buds. Is it a clematis maybe?? Can you take a picture?? If it's a trumpet vine...run, run, run for your life. :lol:

Trumpet vine??

Oh my I planted a piece from my friends last year. I layered it to get a piece

Why run? what is wrong with them??
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Sheikea » May 01, 2008 2:37 pm

Does a trumpet vine bloom?I wish this one did but i remmeber there being no flowers at all.i have big posts that the trellis rest on that are on the front veranda would be nice if i had to tie it around them and across the front .
Sheikea

Postby butterfly » May 01, 2008 3:29 pm

oh thanks Daisy

I must pull it out then

I have enough invasive plants that I am trying to kill and no luck

Having terrible time with gout weed since years. Don't need another

thanks
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 01, 2008 3:30 pm

Did the leaves turn bright red last fall (provided your fall was warm & sunny). If so, it's likely Virginia Creeper. Virginia Creeper is invasive by constantly sending out shoots along the ground which in turn take root.
We had a privacy arbor alongside our house for about 15 years & covered with virgina creeper planted every 4 ft. apart. I removed the arbor 2 yrs ago because it was getting pretty grundgy looking & cut the vines back to the ground. The main root stalks were as thick as my wrist. As I did not want the vines I painted the root stalks open wound with roundup. Hah....new growth anyway. So this year they get another treatment. Another aspect is that virginia creeper also attracts & becomes infested with a tiny black winged insect. I was constantly hosing the vines to wash those suckers out.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Re: vines

Postby murphy » May 01, 2008 5:26 pm

Sheikea wrote:Moring ladies and gents.I have two vines out side in the front bed going up some trellises.I have no idea as to what they are I believe them to be virgina creepers vine or the english vine don't remeber what it is called.My question to you is I left them the way they were come fall and now I am wondering should I cut them back will they syard fromt the ground up or are they like honeysuckle and reappear on the vine?I thought I saw buds on the vines but was not sure and the vines are soft and green when i scratch em.Hugs and shares of coffee.. :D

what you saw could just be leaf buds...virgina creeper and english ivy do bloom but they are so insignificant most people don't notice...they are tiny tiny yellow blooms with bracts that are also tiny tiny. Just leave them till the "buds" break I suggest then post a picture of the leaf you have....I am sure we can help you identify them and let you know the care. I have virginia creeper...LIKE A WEED...all over my yard.......and I cut it back as much as I can as often as I can...pray this is not what you have....it rivals the trumpet vine nightmare I also am living.
murphy

Next

Return to Plant Talk