Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Fritillarias...this is weird

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Fritillarias...this is weird

Postby Pepper » May 01, 2008 6:01 am

In the fall of 2005 I planted 2 fritillaria (imperialis) bulbs and nothing happened...for 3 years! Suddenly this spring, in that same spot, I have shoots coming up with leaves that definiely look like fritallaria leaves (I kept the packaging so I've compared).

Is it possible that they lay dormant for that long without rotting?? And if so, what would have made them finally show themselves?

Pepper
Zone 5A
Pepper

Postby joan w » May 01, 2008 7:01 am

I can't answer your question Pepper but would like to know why mine appeared this year when they didn't last spring, after a mild, dry winter.

I too, would think that they would rot. The wonder of nature eh.
Image Image
joan w

Postby Catherine » May 01, 2008 8:20 am

I planted a couple of Monkshood last spring. Nothing happened - assumed they rotted or walked away when I wasn't looking. So - quess who shows up this year. Interesting. Can't take anything for granted with old Ma Nature....
Cath
If two loaves of bread are all you have left, you ahould sell one and buy hyacinths to feed your soul.........Arabic proverb
Catherine

Postby Pepper » May 01, 2008 12:43 pm

well maybe it's not so weird afterall then :) I'm definitely anxious to see what they'll look like. I didn't plant them on an angle, but maybe 3 years has moved them so they finally sprouted!
Zone 5A
Pepper

Dormant ?

Postby DMG » May 01, 2008 4:08 pm

I know what you are talking about! I had the same experience, and it was over a period of years. All of a suddent the tall plant grew, early in spring, and grew and grew. Even my neighbors were amazed. I think it was called an Imperial Lily or something of the sort. It amazed me since it was 'dormant' for so long. Good luck with yours.DMG
Gardening in Zone 5
DMG

Postby murphy » May 01, 2008 5:17 pm

I thought I killed a clematis years ago...I was using a boiling kettle to kill some insidious weed and ended up scalding the roots of the poor clematis (it was early in my gardening career)..that vine didn't come back that year...or the next spring..but in about August the second year...sure enough it came with gusto and even bloomed...still have it..but since i moved it from brampton 10 years ago...it has only had about three flowers a year (I think it is time to take the kettle to it again...LOL)...I also have a random onion that I see every couple of years...it comes up blooms as it should..then next year I think it is dead...then next it blooms..this year it is back..but I don't see a bloom.
murphy

Postby Sharon Bryson » May 01, 2008 9:49 pm

I guess you will soon know whether you have the Fritillaria...ours are quite tall, and starting to produce buds....hope they don't get their noses frozen.
They have been in a deluge of rain for the last 24 hours.
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Postby Pansy » May 01, 2008 11:05 pm

In 2006 I planted 2 Foxtail Lillies,I was so sad last year when

they didn't return.But,lo & behold they are up this year as

if they never had a long vacation. :?
Pansy
Zone 5 B
Pansy

Postby Pepper » May 02, 2008 5:55 am

:lol: I had the same thing with a clematis vine once (not the kettle of boiling water part) :wink:

I guess that's part of the fun of this whole gardening thing - the endless surprises (and sometimes bitter disappointment) that nature doles out!
Zone 5A
Pepper

Return to Plant Talk