Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Privacy On A Balcony

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Privacy On A Balcony

Postby JessicSo » Apr 12, 2008 3:48 pm

Hello,

Was hoping that someone might have suggestions for me on planting shrubs/plants on my balcony to give us some privacy.
The balcony is only about 90sq ft, and after my partner got his shinny new toy (BBQ) we are at about 85sq ft. Either or you get my point, we don't have alot a room.
We live up in Northern Alberta, I believe it's Zone 1. Our balcany is on the sixth floor and is south facing. Also the shrubs/plants must be able to withstand a good beating from alot of heavy dust along with the wind, as we are the first building in a brand new development.
I'm certain my options are very limited and really hoping someone might be able to give some suggestions of shrubs/plants we could use.

Thank you
JessicSo

Postby Venice » Apr 12, 2008 6:18 pm

I would get some planters with some lattice/trellis. and get some fast growing vines. I'm thinking you'll probably have to stick with annuals, as it's going to be very cold in the winter out there, but that should be ok 'cause you won't be out their either hehehe.

If you have a picture that would be great. I would probably line the walls you want the privacy with a homemade wood planter, that's about comes out about 2' and is a good seat height. Then I would put some 2x6 or 2x8 on the outer edge, and you could double the planters as benches as well. Even throw on a few pillows.

On the back of the planters I would put some lattice, that way they can fill in nicely.

You can grow all kinds of vines on this, from Morning Glories, Scarlet runners, beans, peas, sweet peas....so many options.

You could then put some other plants in the front to fill them in. Since you have a BBQ out there I would consider growing some fresh herbs and a few tomato plants as well, they do great in containers and an edible garden is lots of fun. I like to grow some lettuce as well.

Ok I found a few pics on Google for some ideas of what I mean.

For the box itself I would do something like this, with the back of it flush to the edge of your balcony. and preferably stained.

Here's a couple of how it would look with the lattice.

Venice

Postby Venice » Apr 12, 2008 6:22 pm

Or you can always get a few screens to block the neighbors, or some artwork.

Create your own Outdoor Private Oasis with Out Outdoor Privacy Screens!

If you have a deck, balcony, patio or garden, our Photo Privacy Screens are the perfect solution for outdoor privacy and for obscuring any unsightly view. Our garden privacy screens, deck privacy screens & patio privacy screens can all be customized with your own photo or one from our gallery for a view of your favorite vacation spot. Where ever you need outdoor privacy including balconies, gardens or pools, we can provide you with a beautiful, affordable outdoor privacy screen to fit your needs! Available in both Semi-Private Mesh or Total Privacy Canvas.

Patio, Deck, Garden, Balcony Privacy screen with golf scene.
Privacy Screens constructed of our "Total Privacy Canvas" material will block light and totally obscure view.

All our popular garden privacy screens, deck privacy screens and patio privacy screens come hemmed with grommets and easy to attach zip ties for fast installations. They are UV protected and are easy to install!

Standard sizes:
3'H x 6'W - $155.00
4'H x 8'W - $275.00

http://www.balconyvacations.com/deck_ba ... screen.htm

Here's a website dedicated to balcony gardening. http://www.amandaontheveranda.com/index.php
Venice

Postby isabelbrinck » Apr 21, 2008 9:11 pm

Great ideas!
Isabel
Montreal, QC
Hardiness Zone 5a
isabelbrinck

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 01, 2008 10:21 pm

For a fast growing vine you might try wild cucumber. It is an annual but is self seeding. It"s bloom is a yellow blossom somewhat like a frilly lilac blossom in shape. We found it attractive.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 02, 2008 12:10 pm

Actually, the bloom is more a creamy color than the yellow that I mentioned in the above post. Sorry about that.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Return to Container Gardening