Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Nursery/Gdn Centre for good selection of annuals

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Nursery/Gdn Centre for good selection of annuals

Postby seacat » May 02, 2008 8:56 am

Hi Gang,

I'm wondering whether anyone knows where to go in the GTA and surrounding area for a really good selection of annuals?

Is there a comprehensive directory of gardening centres/nurseries available anywhere?

thanks!
seacat
Women hold up half the sky.
seacat

Postby Eeyore » May 02, 2008 10:38 am

Look under resources at the top and click on Catalogues. That should give you some places to start.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby haili » May 02, 2008 12:04 pm

Jade Gardens on Trafalgar Rd. just south of Britannia has a good selection and around the corner on Britannia west of Trafalgar is Terra. If one place doesn't have what you want, the other usually does. Then I shop Home Depot, Canadian Tire, and the local deli and grocery stores and Country Depot.
haili

Postby seacat » May 02, 2008 7:00 pm

Tx ladies. I've been through the resources but that includes everything in Ontario, and then includes services other than gardening, etc. I was hoping for something a little more concise.

I've been to Terra a few times this season already and once to Jade last summer but at least Terra only carries the run-of-the-mill annuals. I haven't for example seen flax seed flowers anywhere, which might be perfect for my hot, dry balcony. I have started them from seeds but I'd prefer to be able to buy starter plants.

I've heard that there's a whole slew of garden centres geared to landscape designers but open to the public up in Brampton somewhere but we don't get the Brampton yellow pages here in Mississauga and the Canada411 directory seems quite limited and also not very user friendly.

Maybe I'll just have to compile my own list.
seacat

Postby haili » May 03, 2008 7:35 am

Jade has annuals that Terra doesn't carry eg. browallia. I always find a few different things there that I don't see other places. I thought those flax flowers were perennials, but could be wrong. Did notice last year, there wasn't much variety in bedding plants; all the more interesting annuals were only in baskets and planters. They seem to be selling more and more annuals in single pots and charging a lot more for them. There are lots of plant places around like Taylors and Crawfords but be prepared to buy singles rather than cell packs.
haili

Postby Venice » May 03, 2008 10:12 am

hmmm I'm in Brampton and would like to hear about these greenhouses too. hehehe. I like Haase on Hwy 7, just east of Mississauga Rd. on Queen. Or Arnolds, on Winston Churchill, just S of Norval.

Try looking up www.701.com they have a Brampton directory. I know there are some big nursery's on Creditview, and Embolton Rd., but not sure if they're open to the public.

http://www.goldbook.ca/goldbook/brampton/Nurseries.html

I've been to all the ones in Brampton on that list. They all have a different feel.

http://www.goldbook.ca/goldbook/brampto ... ntres.html

Here's a search for Garden Centers

I've been to Lakeside,& Haase. Lakeside is more perennials, trees, landscape supplies, hardscapes, nice indoor store with patio stuff too. (but I'd look at homesense for some of the same stuff, at a better price.)

Haase is more annuals and hanging baskets. They do have some perennials out back, but no shrubs or trees. They're stuff always looks amazing, and they have a nice variety in spring.

Call around though, and let me know what you hear. Thanks.

Ven

Ven
Venice

Postby bluewillow » May 03, 2008 10:15 am

Seacat, If you stop by any Bell store they ought to carry Brampton's yellow pages.

bw
bluewillow

Postby haili » May 06, 2008 7:37 pm

Home Depot is advertising 6 pack of wave petunias for $6.97.
haili

Postby seacat » May 06, 2008 11:00 pm

HI Gang,

Thanks again for all the input.

Re Jade, come to think of it, I visited after the "silly season" (now) so I will swing by again and check them out but I might have inadvertently answered my own question over the weekend.

I made it up to Humberview Nurseries for the first time. Wow, I'm still a newbie gardener but I was blown away by the selection of annuals - much better than I've seen anywhere else. Eg, climbing vines which I haven't noticed anywhere else, eg moon flower. I'm not sure if its an annual but they had horsetail too! 'Expensive but I can dream.

Haile, you may be right, many were not in cell packs but sold as singles and probably more expensive. But dead heading 4 wall planters full of petunias last summer, though enjoyable, is time consuming. ANd I'm keen to experiment with something a bit different. Moreover, it doesn't help at all that I want all red flowers for my little 8 x 20 ft balcony ! :) To give it cohesion.

According to Vesey's seed catalogue, red scarlet flax is an annual:
http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/store/annua ... etflaxflax

BW, good idea, I'll pop in next time I have a vehicle.
seacat

Postby haili » May 07, 2008 11:50 am

I don't think you have to dead head the wave petunias but I had a wasted trip to Home Depot as they didn't have them. I hate when they advertise things and then they don't come in. Will wait until after Mothers Day in case I get some plants (you never know) and try again next week.
haili

Return to Container Gardening