Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Plant info sites on the web

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Plant info sites on the web

Postby joan w » May 02, 2008 6:52 pm

If you have a good site for plant information in southern Ontario I would appreciate the link.

Thanks, Joan
joan w

Postby Eeyore » May 02, 2008 11:44 pm

What type of info are you looking for Joan? I like Monrovia's site although it is not for Southern Ontario, I find that they are pretty good.

http://www.monrovia.com/
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby joan w » May 03, 2008 6:42 am

Thanks Lyn, I'll give it a try. Basically, what I was looking for was height and spread of some plants. Also if they are perennials or annuals.
Image Image
joan w

Postby Eeyore » May 03, 2008 12:08 pm

Try this one Joan. It is ORGS new Seedex site. I find it a bit awkward as it divides each plant into 2 pages, one with basic info and the other with germination information. I'm not sure if it tells you full plant size but it does tell you if it is an annual or perennial.

http://www.onrockgarden.com/seedex2007/
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby countrychic » May 03, 2008 1:31 pm

You can also pick up a Garden Guide catalogue at Sheridan Nurseries for $5. It has pages and pages of photos and lists of most plants. I only found out about it now (after 3 years of gardening!), and now I don't go anywhere without it. I can quickly look up a plant and see if it suits my needs.
countrychic

Postby joan w » May 03, 2008 3:44 pm

Thanks Lyn. I have saved it to favorites.

Countrychic, I tried the Sheridan link and it looks good but is slow.
Image Image
joan w

Postby Eeyore » May 04, 2008 12:31 am

Daughter suggested another one to me, but I will check it out before I post it. I am about a week behind in my e-mails! :roll: :roll:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby gingercat » May 04, 2008 9:17 am

If your looking for information on perennials, shrubs or trees I find the sites helpful. I can't post the links because I am not active enough on this forum but hopefully you can find them

Heritage Perrenials

Epic Plant Company

Ornamental Plants Plus Version 3.0
gingercat

Postby Melroche » May 04, 2008 11:04 am

The Ottawa Pulic Library has a decent site for Southern Ontario Virtual Reference Guide:

http://opl.virtualreferencelibrary.ca/? ... _page_home

I always go to www.perennials.com and find what I'm looking for 85% of the time. Great site at any rate. Good luck...sorry I couldn't be of more help but if you look at that Virtual Reference guide...I'm sure they'll list plenty of websites to check out.
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. by Mahatma Gandhi.
Melroche

Return to Plant Talk