Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Watering

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Watering

Postby Sheikea » May 02, 2008 3:45 pm

Is anyone watering their perrinials yet?I gave a bucket of water with a little bit of miricle grow in it to my nine bark?Should i water them all??
Sheikea

Postby kelly_m » May 02, 2008 4:12 pm

Until it rained this week, I did...it was so darned dry despite all the snow we had gotten this year...our area was on a fire ban last weekend!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Sheikea » May 02, 2008 6:58 pm

K so I am gonna asume its ok to do so unless other wise told different..Hugs thanks Kelly.. :D
Sheikea

Postby A Closet Canuck » May 02, 2008 8:48 pm

Sheikea wrote:K so I am gonna asume its ok to do so unless other wise told different..Hugs thanks Kelly.. :D

It helps to get a rain gauge and write down how much rain you get and when. I've found this to be one of the most useful and time-saving in terms of preventing unnecessary watering.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Soil moisture meter

Postby dj_backq » May 02, 2008 8:52 pm

Veseys sells a soil moisture meter which would indicate if you need to water or not. I wonder if it works well???
Andre

If man cheats the earth, the earth will cheat man.
dj_backq

Postby kelly_m » May 02, 2008 8:54 pm

Absolutely...go with a rain guage...or just water...Don't be shy, Our plants need the water and even with melting snow...it does dry up on the surface if there is no precipitation...will not hurt them unless of course you overwater them!!! :wink:
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Eeyore » May 02, 2008 11:47 pm

I haven't had to water yet. The back yard has finally thawed out (I think!) and the front is mulched. I am a bit surprised that you would need to water yet. We've had a fairly wet spring up until now.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Pepper » May 03, 2008 7:16 am

I was surprised at how dry it got last week too even though we had so much snow melt; I ended up watering some of my perennials.

A couple of years ago we bought a "weather station" from TSC stores for about $100 and it's the best thing ever! The set up is a little tricky, but now I have a unit that sits inside the house that tells me how much rain fell, inside and outside temperature, humidity, wind direction, highest and lowest wind speeds, highest and lowest temps and there's a barometer on it too.

It's invaluable for knowing how much rain we've had, (you can reset it whenever you want) because we can't get weather data for our area and the rainfall in the closest city can vary quite drastically from ours.

I highly recommend them - I'm a bit of a weather geek too, so the thing gives me endless entertainment.

Between yesterday morning and this morning we got 16 mm of rain - so no need to water today!
Zone 5A
Pepper

Postby Venice » May 03, 2008 10:00 am

Hubby picked one up on sale at Zellers for about $40. Keep an eye out there .

Ven
Venice

Next

Return to Plant Talk