Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Do you have a gardening "assistant"?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby A Closet Canuck » May 02, 2008 8:46 pm

Pepper wrote:...The little scallywag...lways seems to pull her moves just when I look away for a second :lol:

Thanks everybody!

They are masters at that. I can't turn my back for a second; in an instant all the good behavior is history! Worse than a kid! LOL LOL
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 03, 2008 12:05 pm

Smartest dog I ever had was Cadfael, a golden retriever mix. He was my constant companion and as a young puppy sat beside me, watching as I weeded.

We drove to the nursery and I bought annuals. We came home and were back in the garden. Carefully I planted each annual just where I wanted it, got to my feet and looked to admire what I had done.

Caddy had followed closely after me, pulling out each plant I had carefully planted.

I scolded, gently, replanted...Caddy pulled out each plant again.

So he was put on his chain, which he hated, and he sat with his back to me, very obviously sulking. He did not pull up plants again after that.

However, after watching me, he also learned to help himself in the veg and fruit garden. He would pick his own raspberries, strawberries, peas, and cherry tomatoes. and eat them. The first time he did this, he sneaked, with many looks behind to see if I was watching (I pretended I was not.) So then he did it openly...lovely tail wagging in delight.

I have never had a digger, and I am very grateful for that. (Well, Cordy has dug out a cool hollow in sand, underneath the porch steps (he can't dig them out dangerously, they are on concrete.) And this hole and mound of sand is hidden by big ceramic pots.

Thanks for your stories...brought back many good memories!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Pepper » May 03, 2008 12:23 pm

What a great story Liz! It's obvious how much you loved Caddy.

I secretly adore everything my Lucy (or "Lucille" when she's in trouble) does, even when it involves digging up what I just planted. I can never get too mad at her, because it's just so much fun having her around. :)
Zone 5A
Pepper

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 03, 2008 1:01 pm

Yes, Pepper...did dealy love my Caddy. He was followed by a lovely yellow Lab lady called Ceilidh who was born to retrieve, of course.

And now there are Cordy, Kiley, and Molly. The first two are in their tenth year, and Molly is five. Great little companions, and Mommy's darlings for sure!

(Cordy to your right, Kie in the middle, Molly on the left.)
Attachments
Seasonal Containers.jpg
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby A Closet Canuck » May 03, 2008 4:05 pm

Liz, you should have named that dog 'Farmer Caddy.' LOL LOL LOL Yes, we have a 'harvester' here, with carrots being the favorite! It's amazing what a smart dog can figure out, isn't it?
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 03, 2008 4:57 pm

You betcha Trish!

Ceildih had such a soft mouth, she could carry fresh eggs from the henhouse.

She almost always dropped it on the concrete doorstep at the door...just not quite enough to dissuade my husb. from hoping "this time she'll do it right." (He was too quick to say "give it, Ceilidh" and she too quick to pass it on.
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Durgan » May 03, 2008 8:15 pm

My Neena never touches anything. At most she sniffs and approves of my every move. She often jumps into a picture, hence I usually show her around various plant pictures that I post. It is such that I feel rejected if she is not observing what I am trying to accomplish, almost like having a private cheering section around all the time. I take her everywhere if possible, and she is always willing to go anywhere and anytime. Probably a perfect dog for a person working in a garden.

The last dog I had tore up almost all and sundry, even after I left the area.

I guess it is just the innate nature of the dog.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby Durgan » May 03, 2008 8:17 pm

Liz Cordysmum wrote:Yes, Pepper...did dealy love my Caddy. He was followed by a lovely yellow Lab lady called Ceilidh who was born to retrieve, of course.

And now there are Cordy, Kiley, and Molly. The first two are in their tenth year, and Molly is five. Great little companions, and Mommy's darlings for sure!

(Cordy to your right, Kie in the middle, Molly on the left.)

Beautiful dogs, and they look so happy. Congratulations.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Previous

Return to Plant Talk