Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Sap Suckers

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Sap Suckers

Postby Abby1944 » May 03, 2008 1:44 pm

I have sap sucker damage on My Mountain Ash and now I see they have damaged my frosted Birch Tree. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Abby
Abby1944

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 03, 2008 2:02 pm

Short of destroying the bird, I found that they are pretty smart & any time I spotted one, I chased it off. Several times of doing this they stopped coming to my trees.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby bluebird » May 03, 2008 4:21 pm

Try hanging some sparkly aluminum foil strips or pie plates in the tree to spin and sparkle in the wind. Old CD's (especially ones with William Shatner singing) work well too.

You can also try wrapping the affected trunk area with burlap until the bird moves on.
The tree can handle a few sipping wells, so only go this route if it seems the damage is becoming severe and ongoing.

Sapsuckers ( a kind of woodpecker) are a protected species under the Migratory Birds Convention Act, and may not be killed or captured, or have its nest or eggs harmed or even touched.
bluebird

Postby Eeyore » May 04, 2008 12:29 am

We found evidence of a sapsucker on our Crab Apple Tree and today hubby spotted the little bugger in the neighbours birch tree. I'll try and post a photo later. They really are rather cute.

I can't suggest any ways to deter them but I am sure BB has it covered! :D
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Paul zone5 » May 04, 2008 10:24 am

Lucky you for having them close enough to see. This winter there was one visiting the peanut feeder once a day, but I haven't seen it for a month or so.
While on vacation I like to monitor the sipping wells to see all the other bird varieties that come.
Just north of Toronto
Paul zone5

Postby Abby1944 » May 04, 2008 5:26 pm

Thank You everyone. I think I'll try the colored strips or Pie pans for a while. I'm sure the birch was not affected last Fall so must be new damage.
Abby
Abby1944

Return to Plant Talk