Garden Seed Exchange - Gardening Forums

Looking for Solomon's Seal and Mint

Forget the seed catalogues. Trading seeds is a great way to expand your garden with new plants, flowers, fruits, vegetables, shrubs, and trees.

Looking for Solomon's Seal and Mint

Postby kso » Apr 29, 2008 5:19 pm

I used to have a patch of the solomon's seal quite established, and a patch of mint for tea but we moved last year before the ground thawed and I couldn't bring any of them with me. Wasn't able to find them at the nursery (they told me both were too invasive to sell...go figure lol :P) I have lily of the valley plants, and lots of seeds to trade. I'll post a list, thanks everyone!
kso

Postby kso » Apr 29, 2008 5:20 pm

Forgot to add, I'll send postage if nothing I have interests you, thanks!
kso

Postby B_BQ » Apr 29, 2008 5:52 pm

Hi kso:

I love Solomon's Seal. It took me a couple of years to find some, but quite unexpectedly last year I found about 5 small plants in Canadian Tire of all places! I bought them all! I've been keeping watch on where I planted them, but so far none are appearing! I've never actually grown it before, so don't know when I should expect to see them growing! Such a beautiful plant.

I have a very tiny pond in a corner of my patio, and it only gets sun first thing in the morning. I've planted some Solomon's Seal, to the left of the sprinkler head you see there at the back.

~BBQ

Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby kso » Apr 29, 2008 8:43 pm

BBQ, before we moved, the solomon's seal was in a semi shaded place under a japanese maple, and got lots of water. The leaves from the maple mulched the plants every winter. I'm a bit weary about buying plants from hardware store (esp. walmart) but even that I've never seen solomon's seal. Guess there aren't as invasive as the nursery claims
kso

Postby B_BQ » Apr 29, 2008 8:51 pm

Just keep on looking. You never know where it will pop up!
I know I found my 5 plants on a bottom shelf, way at the back, and I was literally on my hands and knees to try to find out what was there. I was thrilled to bits when I found the Solomon's Seal! My husband was somewhere else, looking for me, and came running when I let out a shriek! :lol:
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby shutterbug » May 02, 2008 7:12 pm

I just saw some "false solomon's Seal" at a local gardening store in Toronto. Could that be what you're looking for?
shutterbug

Postby kso » May 03, 2008 3:59 pm

Thanks shutterbug, but I'm looking for 'the' solomon's seal Polygonatum multiflorum
kso

Postby midge357 » May 05, 2008 6:48 pm

I have solomon seal if your inteested and lemon balm which makes a wonderful tea, let me know and I can mail them out to you. what do you have for trade?
midge357

Solomon's Seal

Postby overflowing_mercy » May 17, 2008 10:27 pm

I have just discovered what plants are growing in the flowerbeds at this new place we are at.
One of them... well lots of them really... are Solomon's Seal. I also have Catnip but haven't found Mint yet. There are many other things growing that I have NO IDEA as to what they are but I am learning.
overflowing_mercy

Postby Venice » May 19, 2008 11:47 am

My neigbor just bought one at the local plant sale. Type in your city's name and 'plant sale' and do a search. It might be something they'd have where your at as well.

It's so funny I'd never heard of or seen this plant before Sat. and now there's been a few threads on it, It's really nice. I would have bought one, but I don't have anywhere in the shade to put one.

Ven
Venice

Next

Return to Garden Seed Exchange