Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Community Gardens: writing a book and I need your stories

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Community Gardens: writing a book and I need your stories

Postby flowerpower » Apr 08, 2008 10:50 am

Hi everyone,

I am writing a book on Community Gardening in Canada. I want to write a book that educates, inspires, motivates and changes how we think and feel about our world. I want Canadians to know how important Community Gardens are to people, communities, and in some small way, our planet. To accomplish this goal, I need to locate people who want to talk about their experiences in the world of Community Gardens. I would like to know the following:

1) where are you located and what is your garden's name and age?
2) why did you decide to build or get involved with a CG?
3) how did your CG come to be built and how long did it take?
4) how does having a CG in your neighborhood affect your community?
5) how did/does gardening in your CG change your life?
6) do you have any special stories you would like to share about your garden, or maybe you have a gardener who deserves special recognition?
7) why do you love your CG and what makes it special?
8) how long have you been gardening?

Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it!! :) I am looking forward to hearing all your stories.

Sincerely,

Nicole Hiebert
flowerpower

Postby Eeyore » Apr 08, 2008 5:25 pm

Post this Over the Garden Fence as well flowerpot. Mare could tell you some wonderful stories but she doesn't hop the fence very often.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Re: Community Gardens: writing a book and I need your storie

Postby MareE » Apr 18, 2008 12:06 pm

Hey flowerpower! Nicole Hiebert—name rings a bell.

Good un'ya compiling a book. This is sooo important an issue.

I have been community veggie gardening for local Food Bank with sides of camaderie and alleviation of stress prompted by signs of insanity and many more inclinations since 2000 which was a wake-up call year for going green. Will be only too deliriously happy to report my experiences and impressions and lots of pertinent criteria hopefully. Will leave out location tho' for reasons can explain later. LOL

Okay, you go first. What are your replies to your questions to get the ball rolling?;o}

MareE;o}fervently wishing for more CG (as in community gardeners not our kind host magazine) to come out of the woodwork or become involved in one if possible, ya betcha! Cost of the real estate is a deterrant can say that.

Now Lyn, I DO get around to Talking Plants once any kinds of sprouts break thru the soil's crusty Springy surface. laffs & thanks
MareE

Postby Eeyore » Apr 18, 2008 10:03 pm

I DID say you don't hop VERY OFTEN! LOL!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby MareE » May 02, 2008 4:07 pm

You did indeed, Lyn and I plead guilty. LOL

Oooh Flowerpower, please come back and give me and others some morally veggie support for another season!

MareE;o}
MareE

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 03, 2008 5:56 pm

I am not a Community Gardener, but I know of two in my area. One is the kind where many folks have individual plots to work on, and the product is theirs.

The other one is a brand new one, and it is being done by a Community Centre. The centre is in an area where there are many renters without access to their own gardens. The woman who runs the centre also cooks meals there, and she/they want to serve things that they have grown in the garden...herbs, organic veggies, etc. She/they wish to teach people that they CAN grow their own foodstuffs, and organically. As well as how to cook things that are different to them.

I intend to take pictures of this one, plus the other regular community garden, as soon as my batteries get recharged and I get over there.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby MareE » May 07, 2008 2:55 pm

Tante, to clarify/expand/articulate somewhat, Plotlands©bb is operated by the regional Food Network, but we're not expected to donate produce unless want to. Many seniors who have become reluctantly propertyless grow there. Gardeners whose properties have become too shady for full day Sun veggies grow there. New Canadians are a delight to meet and with whom to exchange experience/knowledge and plants. Generally speaking, young families start out enthusiastically enuff, but few make it to harvest, sad to say. Kiddies have penchant for doing the grunt work of weeding and watering till about early July, seemingly. The place is far from organic, tho' such was/is the mandate. Just too many philosophies intermingled in the melting pot (especially when it comes to potato growing grrrrrr), but vastly fascinating. I LIKE your lady who runs the brand new one for her vision and philanthropy and and and...

Got your batteries charged yet? laffs Seriously, would adore seeing your takes. Ta in advance on behalf of.

This is what my bit of tilth (loosely defined) in Plotlands will most likely look like in a week or so after our "stake-out" party, date of which not set in clay. Not planning on doing much furniture rearranging this year.

Yr ever-lovin' Niece;o}
Attachments
A few weeks into sea#31BE0A.jpg
MareE

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 07, 2008 6:04 pm

Have yet to make it over there, Niece, but won't forget to.

Yes, that is one of the pities about community garden plots, well begun and only half done.

That's a good picture, can't wait to see everything higher than your head! And as long as you have a chair to sit on and a pot to ....in, who needs more furniture?

Yr Tante
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Re: Community Gardens: writing a book and I need your storie

Postby butterfly » May 07, 2008 6:33 pm

flowerpower wrote:Hi everyone,

I am writing a book on Community Gardening in Canada. I want to write a book that educates, inspires, motivates and changes how we think and feel about our world. I want Canadians to know how important Community Gardens are to people, communities, and in some small way, our planet. To accomplish this goal, I need to locate people who want to talk about their experiences in the world of Community Gardens. I would like to know the following:

1) where are you located and what is your garden's name and age?
2) why did you decide to build or get involved with a CG?
3) how did your CG come to be built and how long did it take?
4) how does having a CG in your neighborhood affect your community?
5) how did/does gardening in your CG change your life?
6) do you have any special stories you would like to share about your garden, or maybe you have a gardener who deserves special recognition?
7) why do you love your CG and what makes it special?
8) how long have you been gardening?

Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it!! :) I am looking forward to hearing all your stories.

Sincerely,

Nicole Hiebert

So this sounds like a book for Canadian Gardening Mag?? is it
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Return to Plant Talk