Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

The mites are back again...CRAP

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

The mites are back again...CRAP

Postby Hushypuppy » May 02, 2008 12:41 pm

I had 2 very nice hibiscus. Then I went and bought 2 more from Rona. They had mites. I discovered this after the first plant died. It was my first experience with these pesky buggers. The ohter plant soon died as well, even after I has sprayed the little suckers. Now my original 2 plants that are down an entire flight of stairs from the first 2 victims are showing signs...Does anyone know what the best remedy is for the mites. Or should I just euthanize...Is there any hope....
Thanks

Kris
A Basset Is An Asset!
Hushypuppy

Postby Eeyore » May 02, 2008 1:05 pm

Most plant pests need to be treated at 7-10 day intervals until all signs of them are gone.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Venice » May 02, 2008 1:07 pm

Are these the things your supposed to rinse off in the shower?????

Ven
Venice

Postby dlb » May 02, 2008 1:45 pm

I've had them on morning glories. I controlled it by spraying the leaves with water back and front every morning in midsummer which is when they seem to pop up. Giving them a shower on a regular basis is probably a good idea.

I haven't grown morning glories for a couple of years and had forgotten about that.
Dora
dlb

Postby Venice » May 02, 2008 2:12 pm

ya I think they recomend putting your indoor plant in the shower. Cover the soil with a plastic bag to keep the water out, and really give the plant a good rinse. The hose would be too cold right now, and you don't want it outside yet. They recommend doing this a few times a year. I've never done it with my new one it' hasn't had them, but I did with the old one.

Ven
Venice

Postby green thumb guy » May 02, 2008 3:24 pm

Are you sure that they have mites?
What are the symptomns that make you think of mites? I've never seen mites on Hibiscus. I'm not saying that you're wrong, I'm just wondering.

The biggest pain for the Hibiscus are whiteflies and aphids. These 2 can be treated with a couple of applications of Insecticidal soap.

The only time I' seen mites is on 1 particular type of brugmansia. It has come down with broad mites. I used a sulphur based product from Green Earth to get rid of them. Wonderful smelling stuff - reminds me of roses - not!.

Here's a good example of the value of isolating new plants.
green thumb guy

Postby Hushypuppy » May 02, 2008 3:24 pm

Hmmmm...shower, I can do the shower...we will try this instead of the chemical deal again. The first time I sprayed them for 3 days straight. Followed directions on the can...the mites were back in a week. I will try this over the weekend...
Thanks

Kris
A Basset Is An Asset!
Hushypuppy

Postby Hushypuppy » May 02, 2008 3:28 pm

Symptoms are:
Yellow leaves, overnight.
Spotts on leaves, speckeled really yellow. But not on the surface, like inside the leaves.
Black dots on backs of leaves. You can kind of scrap the dots off.
And lastly, little cobwebs that you can barely see..but if you look closely voila.

Let me know if you think these are not mites.
The branches and buds are fine...just the leaves.
A Basset Is An Asset!
Hushypuppy

Postby green thumb guy » May 03, 2008 8:46 pm

Perhaps they have multiple infestations.

The cobwebs remind me of spidermites - these guys don't like regular bathes. I would even try a spray bath with sunlight dish soap. just don't do it in the sun. You could take them into the bathtub.

If it is a scale or mite infestation, then perhaps you will need to look at a systemic that is taken up btu the plant and kills the little buggers as they feed on the plant juices.

I would defer to someone else with a better horticulture background/education for a suggestion as to what to use.
green thumb guy

Return to Plant Talk