Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

FAST GROWING TREES..?..LET'S GO....

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

FAST GROWING TREES..?..LET'S GO....

Postby 3725 » May 03, 2008 5:26 pm

..hi from tim....i have a large open area and i want fast growing trees....these will not be near a house, etc...what are your suggestions?...i dont care if they are coniferous, or whichever....what grows fast?...sk..

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 03, 2008 5:49 pm

I live in coastal BC...I would say Locusts...but not sure of variety, and not knowing if they grow fast in your area, sorry!

Good luck!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Sharon Bryson » May 03, 2008 6:23 pm

You might try a Catalpa.
They grow very quickly.
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Postby Venice » May 03, 2008 8:03 pm

My neighbor is jealous of the Poplar down the street. It's huge now and only 5 years old. It's over 2 stories high. It's got a narrow profile though, it doesn't spread out much or have much of a canopy.

Here's a website for ya http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/

Ven
Venice

Postby B_BQ » May 03, 2008 8:20 pm

The trouble with poplars is that they are not long-lived trees, probably 15 - 20 years. (Although there's always a few that make a lie of this!). They're also prone to disease, and can look pretty yucky if they happen to get it. The disease also spreads quickly.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby kelly_m » May 03, 2008 8:41 pm

Not to mention the poplar fluff in the spring and the possibility of suckers, long after the tree is dead!!!

Willows are fast growers, although not great for shade unless the thing is massive!!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Lindamct » May 03, 2008 9:05 pm

Love massive willows :D Brings back fine memories on Granddaddy's farm. (thinkin' about lollygaggin' n' hookin' tadpoles when I was 5 yrs old). The ole' farm had 3 beautiful willow trees. Now they are part of the Fox Meadow Golf Course in PEI. Proud to know that :D
Lindamct

Postby kelly_m » May 03, 2008 10:04 pm

Kewl....another of my fave trees...they would make a great fort for the kids.....But I don't have room...

If ever I get golfing in PEI, I will look for them!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Eeyore » May 04, 2008 12:03 am

We have tower poplars (I hate them!) but they do grow fast. Many people will plant these as a wind break and interplant them with something like spruce which is slower growing but by the time the poplars have reached the end of their life span (20-25 years as Brenda mentioned) the spruces are ready to fill in the gaps.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Melroche » May 04, 2008 10:36 am

Hi Tim,

We just did the same thing yesterday and planted a weeping willow (fast growing - keept it VERY far away from your septic - as they seek out any source of water with their roots), Horse chestnut, shagbark hichory, ginkgo boloba and a Pee Gee Hydrangea for $57.00.

From Golden Boughs Tree Farm just outside of Marlbank Ontario. Very interesting place - I'm not sure how big you'd like your trees to be these were all 2 feet to 2 metres tall. They grow their tress from seed and ship bare root. We picked ours up yesterday (there are only four days out of the year that you can pick up your trees). At any rate you should look at their site, as it has good info and varieties that are hardy to our zone.

http://www.goldenboughtrees.ca/

Cheers!
Hope you are able to find what you are looking for...
Mel
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. by Mahatma Gandhi.
Melroche

Next

Return to Plant Talk