Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Azalea and Climatis question?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Azalea and Climatis question?

Postby Venice » May 04, 2008 2:26 pm

I can't remember of over the last few seasons when I started to see life on my Niobe Clematis. As of right now there is nothing. I trimmed it back like I'm supposed to and nothing at all.

It wasn't doing well last year, and I discovered the neighbors dog pee'd on it all the time. (This in depth Detective work was discovered with the mound of yellow snow at the base of said vine, 'ahhhaaa' said)

Also I bought an Azalea last year on sale, and it wasn't looking so hot, but the price was right. I got a few blooms off it, but this year, there's no signs of anything at all. I've also discovered dog pee on this even though it's not right at the edge of my bed. I'm going to define the bed better and hopefully keep all the dogs from peeing on them.

So I'm wondering what others in my zone are seeing on theirs???? Is there any hope for them?

Ven
Venice

Postby haili » May 04, 2008 3:43 pm

I have a couple that are really slow but the stems were green when I trimmed them. Some are just beginning to get leaves now. The shaded ones where the snow melts last are the slowest. Once I threw one behind a cedar bush, thinking it was dead and it sprouted in June. Don't think dog pee helps them though, so maybe yours should be blocked off!
haili

Postby Sharon Bryson » May 04, 2008 6:08 pm

Hi Ven:
The azaleas wouldn't have much going on yet, but the buds should look quite plump and dynamic!
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Return to Plant Talk